The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise analysis of Inverter and Sense amplifier (Read 689 times)
ValarMorghulis

Noise analysis of Inverter and Sense amplifier
Jul 08th, 2015, 8:59am

I am trying to do the thorough noise analysis of a simple inverter and a sense amplifier using Spectre. What type of input combination and signal should I provide for correct analysis? And what type of output load should I use?

Thank you for your time!

View Profile ValarMorghulis sazjad   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Noise analysis of Inverter and Sense amplifier
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2015, 9:52am

That all depends on what the inverter will be driving. Many loads are not actually sensitive to noise much of the time. The noise analysis you do should reflect that. If it is driving another gate, then you should probably run some kind of jitter analysis because the gate is only sensitive to noise at threshold crossings and the most natural metric is as a variation in time.

As far as how to load the circuit you are measuring, you should add a load that models the stage that you will be driving.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ValarMorghulis

Re: Noise analysis of Inverter and Sense amplifier
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2015, 10:08am

Thank you for your reply. Currently I am using 4 cascaded inverters with a 2fF load at the end and I am doing the same for sense amplifier (cascaded). My intention is to analyze the noise considering my circuits will be used to build a large logic family.

And also I am using very small supply voltage (which is almost close to threshold voltage of the transistors) to see noise effects at reduced supply voltage.

In my case, a smaller noise voltage(close to threshold crossing) might impact my circuit behaviour. For sense amplifier, I am interested to use double-ended outputs to drive following stages.

Should I still do the jitter analysis and what should I do for sense amplifier?

Thank you for your time.

View Profile ValarMorghulis sazjad   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.