The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 9:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Algorithmic Amplifier (Read 1742 times)
mike433

Algorithmic Amplifier
Jul 22nd, 2015, 12:20pm

Hi
This is the first time for me to encounter the "logarithmic amplifier", i searched it but didn't find much information. Can any one please provide summary/explanation about what does it do and most importantly why it is used for RSSI measurements (I thought it would be used for amplification as the name suggests).

Thx.
Mike

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Algorithmic Amplifier
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2015, 6:07pm

log amps get used for RSSI because for small signals you get a lot of gain and for big signals you get little gain. They are cascades of multiple limited gain range amplifiers.

Consequently they are useful when dealing with a wide dynamic range signal. Accuracy is dependent on the number of cascaded gains stages. Fewer stages makes for less accuracy, more stages get you a better log gain transfer curve.

There are papers in the IEEE JSSC but they are probably over 20 years back. Start digging.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.