The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Noise Adder for Cable (Read 2113 times)
MarkS

Phase Noise Adder for Cable
Sep 08th, 2015, 2:42pm

Hello, I am attempting to create a rough analytical model for distribution of a low-jitter clock from Board_A to Board_B across approximately 10m of cable. I have a phase noise plot for the source clock, and have done approximations for other components in the chain of Board_A, which I can add in quadrature (aka RSS) to get a composite jitter number for the output at Board_A. But how can I approximate the jitter added by the cable between Board_A and Board_B? Even if I get s-params, I need to somehow use that to come up with type of model for how much phase noise the cable would add. Any suggestions? Thanks for any thoughts you may have. I haven't seen this analyzed elsewhere (at least not that I could find, anyway).

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Phase Noise Adder for Cable
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2015, 10:34am

cable will give a signal degeneration which leads to a slower rise/fall characteristic.

Noise added to a defined rise fall characteristic leads a resulting spread in time of the resulting clocking signal

long cables and clocks, generally it is wise to recover the clock and use a PLL to get something clean again

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.