The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 3:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
replace an ideal switch with transmission gate (Read 2006 times)
sara66

replace an ideal switch with transmission gate
Nov 16th, 2015, 7:01pm

hi every one
I want to replace an ideal switch with transmission gate ,I want to know how can I replace ideal switch with transmission gate?
I just measure on resistance of transmission gate ,if this on resistance is equal to closed switch resistance,it means they are same?
Thank you so much

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re:  replace an ideal switch with transmission gate
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2015, 10:52am

depends on frequency and voltage range.

A transistor used as a switch has limitations of resistance, usable voltage range, and parasitic capacitance.

That's the simple answer.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re:  replace an ideal switch with transmission gate
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2015, 8:37am

1) For resistance: Sweep the input voltage range vs W/L to see if you can even meet the resistance requirement
2) For frequency: The transmission gate will add parasitic capacitance onto your nodes, so make sure the par. cap. is not significant at the W/L you choose
3) How much charge injection can you tolerate? This will depend on the clock edge steepness, input Vcm, device sizes, and load capacitance.
4) Decide on how to make clockbar. Can you use just an inverter? Or do you need to equalize delays -> related to charge injection in (3)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.