The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 11:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analog PLL questions (Read 2621 times)
YYou

Analog PLL questions
Dec 16th, 2015, 7:10pm

Hello,

I am designing an analog PLL - mixer-type phase detector. The mixer is double-balanced structure. The output is converted to single-ended from differential by a current-mirror type topology. Then the output is a high-impedance node (in the middle of a current sink and current source). If I directly connect the output to a LPF that is the same as the one connected to a charge pump output (R+C//C), the whole loop can be treated as a type-II like PLL.

Another question is about the PLL stability. If the PLL is unstable, what do you expect to see if measuring the output signal spectrum ?

Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Analog PLL questions
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2015, 5:11pm

1. Please post schematic, if I am not mistaken, in your case Mixer is driving a current mirror means charge pump current depends on error hence loop gain and hence stability depends on phase error. So you have to evaluate Stability very carefully. Better check current corresponding to zero phase and max phase error and do the loop dynamics calculation.

2. Very interesting Question, I haven't simulated unstable loop. Answer depends on what level of instability.
  A. If phase margin is poor(say 45deg), then peaking in the spectrum near the loop bandwidth, which makes integrated phase error worse.
  B. If phase margin is very poor, means control voltage oscillates. Based on the amplitude of the control voltage and vco characteristic's, o/p spectrum will have huge sidebands around the carrier frequency corresponding to control voltage avg voltage. IN the worst case control voltage oscillates between 0 to Vdd, hence carrier frequency corresponding to vdd/2 with spurs at an offset of loop natural frequency.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
YYou

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2015, 11:48am

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the reply.  You are right about question 1. My understanding is for mixer-type phase detector, the output (phase error) is a sinusoid, say sin(x). So the PD gain is at max. with zero phase error, and at min. with max. phase error. The loop gain will be very different for the areas in these two extreme cases. What is the methodology to pick the filter parameters for a stable loop ?  

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2015, 4:13pm

If the loop is unstable it will not settle on frequency.
(will be seen as frequency oscillation around the reference frequency)

If the loop is marginally stable the control voltage will ring/overshoot if the frequency reference is shifted.

Go look through a textbook on PLL design there is a lot out there on control loops, zeta, damping and all that.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.