The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 9:38am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guides how spectre manipulates VerilogA/model files code? (Read 1844 times)
JayOcad

Guides how spectre manipulates VerilogA/model files code?
Dec 26th, 2015, 6:44pm

I was wondering someone could point me in the direction of learning how the spectre code innards manipulates the verilogA model files(after spectre verilogA interpreter reads the code in?).  For example, in dc/ac analysis in the beginning does a function check for ddt(), the derivative function and set those to zero for all potential and current natures defined by any discipline?

I've been reading Ken's verilog-ams, and spectre/spice books and was wondering about the details in between. I'm wondering b.c., if I define an efield as two vectors with real and imaginary parts, to capture magnitude and phase info and do phase shift that way, I need to think about the algorithms that dc and ac analysis applies, so was wanting some guidance there.

Much thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Guides how spectre manipulates VerilogA/model files code?
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2016, 11:56am

Interesting - I just flipped through Ken's books and didn't find the details in between that you were looking for.

I'm used to seeing Verilog-A used for compact models (eg, BSIM4), a set of equations that end up with things like

I(d,s) <+ id_chan;
 I(g,s) <+ ddt(qgs);
 I(g,d) <+ ddt(qgd);

In that case, the Verilog-A compiler for most simulators will try to adapt those equations to look like

i(v(t)) + d/dt q(v(t)) + u(t) = 0

as in the transient analysis chapter (4) of Ken's Spice & Spectre book.

So, the ddt() expressions end up contributing to the "q" in that equation (current is the change in charge).  For dc, the simulator doesn't need any of the q equations (and may be able to partition the code so that it doesn't compute them).  For ac, it will linearize about the operating point, taking symbolic derivatives of the current and charge equations.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.