The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 7:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Process Variation Control for Subthreshold Devices (Read 2550 times)
ljp2706

Process Variation Control for Subthreshold Devices
Feb 23rd, 2016, 5:54pm

I'm working on a circuit that has two subthreshold diode connected transistors. I believe these two devices have the most impact on the variation in the circuit (with a Monte Carlo Analysis). I think it would be due to the exponential dependence on threshold voltage in the subthreshold region. I've managed to reduce the effects of process variation everywhere else in the circuit, but I cannot think of a way to reduce the variation in the subthreshold portion of the circuit. Gate area is maximized in accordance to Pelgrom's Law, and I cannot use adaptive body biasing as this is a fully depleted SOI process.
This is my first time working with subthreshold devices as well as process/mismatch sensitive devices, any tips on design methodology would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Process Variation Control for Subthreshold Devices
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2016, 3:43pm

I don't know the details of your circuit, but about all you can do is making it bigger. If it is a mirror that means longer, if it is a diff pair it means wider. Doubling the current also allows you to double the size and keep all else equal.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2016, 1:48pm

give some more information about what you are trying to do and perhaps we can suggest alternative methods.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vroy_92

Leuven, Belgium
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2016, 10:39am

I have often used source degeneration for reducing Vth mismatch for subthreshold current mirrors in a DAC. Blows up area drastically but saves a lot on my DNL.

IMG-20160716-WA0020.jpeg

Regards,
V Roy
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.