The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 24th, 2024, 3:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any idea for implementation of error/difference  amplifier? (Read 1272 times)
rfmagic
Community Member

Any idea for implementation of error/difference  amplifier?
Mar 24th, 2016, 2:15pm

Hi,

I want to design an amplifier that can measure the difference between a reference voltage and a measured voltage (both DC) with low gain.

The obvious architecture that first came up in my head was to use a differential pair with current mirror load in open loop mode (I have attached a drawing to this message) but the gain is very high and I am afraid that without applying a negative feedback the variation will be too big (variation to PVT).
In the picture below I need to measure Vout=A*(Vm-Vref), where A<10

I appreciate your comments and any other idea how to measure the difference between the 2 signals.

Capture_005.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Any idea for implementation of error/difference  amplifier?
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016, 6:13pm

You cant use an opamp in the open loop, will saturate easily. Better go for difference amplifier (kind of inverting and non-inverting amp).

Best Regards,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016, 6:19pm

Hello

How about diode connected load. Since you seem to be operating at low frequencies you could bias the input pair in weak inversion to maximize its gm (gm,p) while biasing the diode connected load in strong inversion. You will get a gain of gm,p/(2*gm,n) (Assuming you measure the output single-ended, otherwise for fully differential case gm,p/gm,n). By appropriate biasing you can get gain of around 2-5 V/V. Since it is a ratio of gm of PMOS to NMOS, you can expect it to vary across corners (Particularly fs and sf).

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2016, 1:34am

Thanks for your replies.

@raja.cedt: yes, this is my main concern in using an opamp in open loop. the inherent high gain will cause the signal to saturate very quickly and limit the useful operation range. You also mention a difference amplifier by using and inverting and non-inverting stages. Are you familiar with a specific configuration that works? can you please sketch something?

@ULPAnalog: The input signal range is quite big an thus will change considerably during the operation. this means that most of the time the devices will not be operating in weak inversion. Your other comment regarding the variation due to PMOS/NMOS makes this more problematic.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2016, 8:04am

Some thing like this probably work for you. use suitable common mode values.

Br,
Raj.

Untitled_10.png
View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2016, 10:21am

rfmagic wrote on Mar 25th, 2016, 1:34am:
Thanks for your replies.

@ULPAnalog: The input signal range is quite big an thus will change considerably during the operation. this means that most of the time the devices will not be operating in weak inversion.

Is it the input common mode range or the differential mode range that is large?

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2016, 2:29pm

@raja.cedt: Thanks. This is very useful. Actually for the non inverting input it is sufficient to define the reference voltage and just make sure that the response is something like this: Vout=Vref(1+R2/R1)-Vm*(R2/R1).
Where Vref id the positive input, Vm the negative input, R2 the feedback resistor and R1 the series input resistor.

@ULPAnalog: It is the differential voltage that is large. Thus almost any open loop configuration will act as a limiter.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2016, 11:16am

google op-amp circuits,

there are many application notes out there on the subject.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.