The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 24th, 2024, 1:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gm/id method (Read 2305 times)
JARVIS

gm/id method
Apr 09th, 2016, 11:11am

Hi,
I'm using gm/id transistor sizing approach to design a low power opamp. I have a few questions regarding the same.
1) I biased the input transconductances in moderate inversion by choosing the gm/id of the differential transistors = 18, but while running dc simulation in cadence these transistors are shown to be biased in region 2 even though I get required gm. Is this correct? Will the transistors ever be in region 2 if they are in moderate inversion?

View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Re: gm/id method
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2016, 11:38am

Yes it is correct. It differentiates between strong inversion saturation and weak inversion saturation through region parameter being 2 and 3 respectively. For a gm/Id of 18 I would expect it to be on the verge of 2 and 3. You should see op region as 3 if you try to resize in such a way that gm/Id is around 22-25.

View Profile   IP Logged
JARVIS

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2016, 11:59am

okk thanks.
while sizing the transistors in the folded cascode, I used Vov = 2*id/gm and found the sizes from the gm/id lookup table. Since I used worst case condition currents, the dc simulation shows these transistors to be biased in region 2 but gm/id = 18 (since the current is less than worst case current) which implies that these transistors are close to subthreshold under normal bias conditions. Will this be a problem as these transistors should biased in strong inversion?

View Profile   IP Logged
ULPAnalog
Community Member

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2016, 1:30pm

It depends on what your tolerances on specifications are. Or you could over design the transconductor stage so that it meets the specs even under worst case conditions.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.