The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:02am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Discrepancy between oscillation frequency with PSS and transient in Spectre (Read 4567 times)
megaknaller

Discrepancy between oscillation frequency with PSS and transient in Spectre
Apr 26th, 2016, 7:41am

Hi everyone,

I am designing a mm-wave Colpitts VCO and am running into big discrepancies (around 7-8 GHz) between the calculated PSS Harmonic Frequency and the calculated frequency from the transient simulations. I use harmonic balance for performing my PSS simulations with an harmonic number of 10. The version of Cadence I am using is the 6.16 and MMSIM is 14.10.

My oscillator seems to start after approx. 4 ns and I therefore set the tstab value in the PSS to 10 or 15 ns when the oscillation has already stabilized. I also set the step and maxstep from both the PSS and the transient simulation value typically to 1 ps in order to capture the oscillation behaviour. If i don't do this, Spectre can't typically resolve out the oscillation and the transient simulation shows a damped out response.

I´ve saved the initial transients (tstab) from the PSS simulations as well. Looking at them, the calculated frequency/wave seems to agree very well with my transient simulation, but if I look at the time wave from the PSS results, it does not match the obtained graph from the initial transient/transient simulations. The difference in frequency is around 7-8 GHz being the PSS calculated frequency the higher one.

Until now I´ve just tried to reduce the maxstep in the PSS options as well as use the sigglobal accuracy option to check if that improves the results agreement, but no succes by now.

I would like to ask if anyone has run into such problems and how could I solve it or at least improve the matching between my results?

Many thanks in advance.

BR  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
iVenky

Silicon Valley
Re: Discrepancy between oscillation frequency with PSS and transient in Spectre
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2016, 11:34pm

I have faced this issue before. Have you checked that the waveform got stabilised on PSS? I mean is it settled or increasing?

View Profile   IP Logged
alialialialiali

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2016, 3:44am

I have met the problem with ADS software and I set steady state time more than default. then it was better.
simulation of Colpitts oscillator has this problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
cheap_salary

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2016, 5:00am

megaknaller wrote on Apr 26th, 2016, 7:41am:
I am designing a mm-wave Colpitts VCO
I use harmonic balance for performing my PSS simulations with an harmonic number of 10.
Oscillation frequency of your VCO is very high.
So it need very long time to reach steady state.

Can you understand algorithm of HB Analysis ?
Result of HB-PSS is proper in your case.

Use Shooting-PSS instead of HB-PSS and then confirm whether it can converge within reasonable iterations.

View Profile   IP Logged
megaknaller

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2016, 7:12am

I've run a transient simulation to check for stabilization, the oscillator amplitude stabilizes aroudn 3 ns, therefore I set a tstab in PSS of 5 ns, but I've already tried with values as high as 50 ns. I've found this issue not only in Colpitts but also Clapp oscillators, which I typically work with. This might indicate for me it is not an architecture related issue.

The transient saved by PSS agrees sometimes quite well with my transient waveform, but the PSS time wave does not agree with both of them at the end. I understand more or less how the HB works, but this does not explain why I get the discrepancy at the end.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thank you! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
cheap_salary

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2016, 9:30am

megaknaller wrote on May 5th, 2016, 7:12am:
I understand more or less how the HB works,
but this does not explain why I get the discrepancy at the end.
Show me netlist or schematic.
Does your oscillator include distributed-lines or s-parameter box ?

Have you confirmed Shooting-PSS ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.