The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 1:39am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How deep in Subthreshold region can we drive a MOSFET? (Read 3193 times)
jdp
Community Member

How deep in Subthreshold region can we drive a MOSFET?
Jun 02nd, 2016, 4:19am

In an opamp, we can set the input-pair MOSFETs to be in Sub-threshold region of operation.
To what extent can we put them in sub-threshold?...like, can we use (Vgs - Vth) negative?
As I searched in forum posts, people say they use (Vgs - Vth) ~ 100-200mV which makes the MOSFET near subthreshold..but is it feasible to use a Vgs somewhat < Vth ?

(I would be using the opamp in a lower freq. application (say max. 5 MHz))

-- jdp
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: How deep in Subthreshold region can we drive a MOSFET?
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2016, 1:37pm

what does your simulation model tell you? Is the model valid at that range of bias? You need to examine the vailidity of the model to get a real answer.

http://chipdesignmag.com/display.php?articleId=438

give that a read

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jdp
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2016, 9:38am

Thanks loose-electron for your reply Smiley I get what you suggest...

By the way, if anybody has some relevant information/experience (how much can Vgs be made < Vth in Subthreshold) regarding UMC 180nm process might share...

Regards.

-- jdp
View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2016, 2:38pm

The first place to look is the model-reference-manual provided by the foundry. The manual should include the measurements that were taken from various test structures and you can verify that the region you intend to work in is valid or covered by the model.
Note that the measured test structures are defined over limited set of dimensions and bias points so pay attention to that.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2016, 11:19pm

jdp wrote on Jun 2nd, 2016, 4:19am:
In an opamp, we can set the input-pair MOSFETs to be in Sub-threshold region of operation.
To what extent can we put them in sub-threshold?...like, can we use (Vgs - Vth) negative?
As I searched in forum posts, people say they use (Vgs - Vth) ~ 100-200mV which makes the MOSFET near subthreshold..but is it feasible to use a Vgs somewhat < Vth ?

(I would be using the opamp in a lower freq. application (say max. 5 MHz))

Sorry for the late response... you can make it as wide as you want and make Vgs-Vt negative, but at some point the leakage will really affect performance especially at hot temperature. Also, the gate to source capacitance gets larger.

I settled on Vdsat=150mV a few years ago as a reasonable starting point for a differential pair. I'm not sure what Vgs-Vt is for that operating point as it is slightly different than Vdsat, but I remember driving it negative before. Reducing Vdsat further by making the device wider has diminishing returns in gm, but the Cgs cap increases linearly.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.