The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 3:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
delay line variation due to PVT (Read 3422 times)
Debdut

delay line variation due to PVT
Jun 16th, 2016, 6:37pm

I have done a circuit using cascaded RC networks (like a Elmore delay model) and at each point it has 1 ps delay. The circuit has, say, 100 RC networks, giving a total delay of 100 ps.
Now, due to process variations and mismatch in the RC values, the delay may change.
So what do I do? Suppose the actual overall delay is 105 ps, then should I consider that each RC network has a delay of 1.05 ps?
I was thinking like breaking the circuit into parts and measuring the delay of each part of the circuit. Like, if I break the circuit into 4 parts, and, say, the delays are 25 ps, 27 ps, 25 ps, 28 ps, Then, should I take the mean average or rms average of these values? If I take rms average, then into how many parts should the circuit broken?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: delay line variation due to PVT
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2016, 11:53pm

I-
I didn't understand 2nd half of the Question. To answer your PVT independent delay, it is simply impossible without having any reference and -ve feedback. If you want very accurate consider DLL, otherwise you should accept whatever variation you are getting. To reduce the delay variation what you have implement with single RC or use an inverter rather than 100 segments.

Hope this helps,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Debdut

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2016, 3:22am

Hello Raj,
I have to use the several RC networks. I want to find out how should I represent the delay of each RC network considering the overall delay of the entire network.
So, if the overall delay is 105 ps should I consider each element has a delay of 1.05 ps?
Or, should I break the complete RC network into equal/unequal parts and calculate the delay of each network using frequency distribution method?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2016, 4:38am

Dear Debdut-
You haven't given any information why you HAVE TO USE SEVERAL RC NETWORKS. No can help for this kind of Question. Always explain the situation properly (unless it is a top secret) as clear as you can , hence you get better response from the people.

From your Question, what I can say is use as much as you can use.

Best Regards,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Debdut

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2016, 10:31am

I need to delay a waveform by certain ps. Maximum delay can be 100 ps. Minimum I am considering 1 ps as below that the RC values are becoming very low. So I need to find out the average delay generated by each RC network.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2016, 10:30pm

digital signal delay? analog signal?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.