The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hidden state problem: selective switching off and on at minimum of a sinewave (Read 2521 times)
Mauro

Hidden state problem: selective switching off and on at minimum of a sinewave
May 23rd, 2017, 2:38am

Hi all,

My name is Mauro and I am new to this forum. I am a Master student IC designer living in The Netherlands.
This is also my first post Smiley

Currently, I have the following problem with VerilogA: I cannot perform PSS simulations due to hidden states.
I have read earlier discussions on this forum related to this, I read the document specificly writtin by Ken ("Hidden States in SpectreRF" and tried something myself but it all did not work out unfortunately.

Hereby extra information:

Circuit information:
Oscillation signal (sinewave) has f_osc = 5 GHz
Offset is at Vdd = 1.2V
Amplitude is 0.2V
Voltage range oscillating signal: 1V < Vsignal < 1.4V
Circuit has start-up time (100ns) where Vsignal = Vdd = 1.2V
After that it starts building up oscillation until steady state

Goal of the module: switching off and on at minimum of a sinewave with 1000 periods inbetween

Initially the switch should be conducting (10 Ohms)
Start a counter at steady state oscillation (no counter during start-up) that counts the amount of periods of the sinewave
Stay switched on at the minimum of a sinewave after 1000 periods
Switch off exactly at minimum of a sinewave after 1000 periods
Switch on again at the minimum of a sinewave after 1000 periods etc.

Should operate in PSS&Pnoise analysis with Spectre

Problem: Hidden states in PSS due to r, counter and flag (transient is working)

So my input is a voltage sinewave and dependent on that I would like to switch off or on.

My code is in the attachment, please have a look. Otherwise the post would be relatively long, so I wanted to maintain clarity in this way.

I am looking forward to your responses. Thank you in advance,

Mauro

code_mauro_001.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Hidden state problem: selective switching off and on at minimum of a sinewave
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2017, 10:09am

Mauro,
   I believe you have a more fundamental problem. PSS can only be applied to problems that are periodic. So you really cannot have the output of your sine wave generator turning off for a thousand cycles (well conceivably you can, but the PSS period would have to be at least 1000 cycles long and the modulation period would have to be synchronized with the carrier, which would bean expensive simulation).

What is it you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps there is a another way of getting what you want.

If you are adamant about keeping the slow modulation process, then it is easier are more reliable to use time to create the modulation rather than using internal state.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mauro

Re: Hidden state problem: selective switching off and on at minimum of a sinewave
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2017, 6:01am

Hi Ken,

PSS should be feasible since there is a periodicitiy (1000 cycles it is oscillating and another 1000 cycles it is not) which means a period of 2000 cycles (2.5 MHz beat frequency).

However, I already solved it Smiley I implemented a counter using ideal adhllib blocks. So I added more Verilog blocks instead of doing everything with one.

Regards,

Mauro

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.