The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems in My High Voltage Generator (Read 3033 times)
lingling

Problems in My High Voltage Generator
May 30th, 2017, 12:27am

Good day,
I have built many timer circuits like the following picture shows but the only problem I’ve ran across is the supply voltage/current,3 to 18 volts,if current exceeds 1.5 amps it will smoke the 555 timer,it has happened to me several times and i haven’t solved this problem. this circuit works well with a ignition coil, jacobs latters,stunguns,and others as well.
The circuit given here has three sections namely oscillator, switching stage and a step up stage. The oscillator is build around a NE555 timer operating at 25 KHz. The output of the NE555 coupled to the base of the power transistor TIP3055 which is the switching device. The power transistor drives primary of the step up transformer at 25 KHz and as a result a high voltage will be induced across its secondary.

Thank you.
PS: This is the TIP3055's PDF:http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf9675/TIP3055.pdf and the schematic diagram is given below,please have a reference.

5_30_3.png
View Profile   IP Logged
mhx

Re: Problems in My High Voltage Generator
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2017, 9:48am

lingling wrote on May 30th, 2017, 12:27am:
Good day,
I have built many timer circuits like the following picture shows but the only problem I’ve ran across is the supply voltage/current,3 to 18 volts,if current exceeds 1.5 amps it will smoke the 555 timer,it has happened to me several times and i haven’t solved this problem.

The 555 delivers the base current for the 2n3055.
Given the base resistor, the possible base current times 12V times a
duty of 50%, should be more than enough to thermally overload
the IC. Add an emitter follower or something?

Another problem could be the primary of the transformer -- there
will be a large leakage inductance and subsequently a nasty spike
when the 2n3055 attempts to turn off. Maybe this spike reaches
the IC pins and drives them below ground?

-marcel

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.