The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 18th, 2024, 10:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why every company asks for experience to work in Analog IC design (Read 83 times)
VK

Germany
Why every company asks for experience to work in Analog IC design
Jun 28th, 2018, 8:21am

Hi all,
  I am a Master of Science student and has completed my specialization in Micro and Optoelectronics in University of Stuttgart, Germany. I am currently seeking a full-time job position in the domain of Analog and Mixed-signal IC design since I have done my master thesis in Analog and Mixed-signal IC design in Cadence Virtuoso. To be frank, I have very less experience in Analog IC design with only my work during my Master thesis and my practical course. My biggest doubt is when I apply for companies for such jobs (again Analog IC design and Mixed-signal IC design) they are asking for more experienced candidates. I even tried fresh graduates jobs too, but still its difficult to find a job in this domain. I would like to get your expertise here. What type of job positions should I apply right now, so that I could finally attain the Analog IC design position in future (maybe 5 years from now)? I have googled also, but all the answers are so abstract. I need a proper and definite answer and not such vague replies. Help is appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
DanielLam
Community Member

Re: Why every company asks for experience to work in Analog IC design
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2018, 8:29am

My background is a masters in IC design. Designed, laid out, and measured an ADC for the masters thesis. Been a few years in the industry.

- What type of job positions should I apply right now?

If your goal is to become an analog IC designer, then go for analog IC designer. You have a masters, and course work in IC design, and have Cadence knowledge. You should be decently suited (I might recommend reading the Razavi book for review on interviews).

- they are asking for more experienced candidates. I even tried fresh graduates jobs too, but still its difficult to find a job in this domain.

Companies are trying to filter out people. You could apply, and by luck, get an interview. Your resume needs to be strong, and you probably could list the number of years you concentrated on circuit design during your coursework. One time I saw a job that required 10 years of experience (I had 2 at the time), and I met someone who worked there, and said to apply. He didn't even know about the line written in the description.

- its difficult to find a job in this domain.
It is if you are applying through websites. The best way is to use your network (ask your professors, and maybe colleagues). There are down times, and there are up times. I'm not sure how it is in Germany at the moment, but the automotive IC industry seems hot. IC design groups will email professors asking if there are potential candidates about to graduate. Through my professor's network, I got an internship, and interviews. When I applied online to ~10 companies, only 2 replied back.

Keep at it, job opportunities can pop up at any time. Ask your professors/network.

Feel free to message me if you have other questions.

View Profile   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2018, 5:53pm

Most companies do not have a good analog verification process, and so they worry that bringing inexperienced engineers into the team might result in errors that they will not find.

If they had a process for finding errors that they were confident in, they would want to bring in new engineers because they tend to be more loyal than engineers that have already changed companies once or twice before.

However, there are some companies that still believe in bringing in new engineers. You might try TI. They focus on bringing in and training  new college graduates.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2019, 6:22am

@VK,
Have you found your job?

Sorry for late reply, but info below may be valuable for other persons as this topic has almost 1.000 reads:

As a fresh person, you may try big companies as Synopsys and other (do not know what are located in Germany). You may try start-ups as well but it may be harder (anyway, you may have luck). You should rather not worry. It seems that analog IC market in Europe is fine.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.