The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:10am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NF simulation using out-of-band blocker (SpectreRF) (Read 1159 times)
Guilherme Theis

NF simulation using out-of-band blocker (SpectreRF)
May 21st, 2019, 6:56am

Hello,

I should start saying I know basics from SpectreRF simulations. I am simulating a wideband LNA with a switched capacitor filter. While I can see my harmonic response, NF, S11, IIP3 using PSS+PSP simulation I would like to know how I can properly simulate my circuit to see how a 0 dBm blocker at 20 MHz can affect it (GSM).

My circuit uses a Sine Port in the input and a DC port in the output (I can draw you the schematic if you need it but I can't get the pictures/data because of security constraints in the lab I am doing my master's thesis).

I have see this tutorial, but is about mixers and I don't know how to translate it to my circuit. https://filebox.ece.vt.edu/~symort/rfworkshop/Mixer_workshop_instruction.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: NF simulation using out-of-band blocker (SpectreRF)
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2019, 6:52pm

Switched capacitor filter? I have no idea why you would have a switched capacitor filter in this simulation, but its clock will cause a lot of problems. You should eliminate it if you can.

Conceptually an LNA with a blocker is very much like a mixer where you are interested in the direct transmission path (no frequency conversion). In this case the blocker plays the role of the LO.  So apply the blocker as a large sinusoid on the input. Apply the input signal as a small stimulus (using pacmag), also on the input.  Run PSS at the blocker frequency. Run PAC at the input frequency and set the sideband to 0.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: NF simulation using out-of-band blocker (SpectreRF)
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2019, 1:35am

I would like to give  big thumbs up to Ken's answer. It is so eloquent, high level for understanding, and very practical at the same time. These are the things in this community what I love!  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.