The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SC-CMFB loop gain/phase measurement (Read 1350 times)
pdirac

SC-CMFB loop gain/phase measurement
Aug 08th, 2019, 9:56am

I didn't find the answer to my question, neither here nor everywhere else. Here's my question: Consider the following FD folded cascode op amp where I used a SC-CMFB to control the output common mode voltage. Everything working fine. It settles to 0.9V after a few microseconds. The load capacitor is 0.5pF, the switched capacitor as part of the CMFB network is 1.25pF, and the non-switched is 0.25pF.

I followed the following diagram to measure the SC-CMFB open loop gain/phase.

The input voltages Vin and Vip are connected to a bias voltage of 1.1V. I set the PAC magnitude for this bias voltage source to 1.

Here are two questions:
(1) Is above the right configuration to measure the CMFB loop gain/phase? I did that and got a dc gain of 64dB and a phase margin of 87 deg. The theoretical value I computed for the dc gain matches the simulation. But I'm not sure how to find the unity gain frequency (see question 2). [Also FYI the main op amp has a dc gain of 51dB and a phase margin of about 88 deg.]
(2) How to measure the UGF of the CMFB? I'm a bit confused as to how calculate that. It should be given like gm/2pi*CT, where gm is the transconductance of M9,10, and is measured roughly 260uS, and CT is the total output capacitance. It should be about 0.59pF in order to match the simulation result. So maybe CT is just CL? Anyway, that's my understanding. Hope someone help me clear things up.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
scc28x

Re: SC-CMFB loop gain/phase measurement
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2019, 2:05pm

I don't think I see a diagram here. It is hard to follow your question without it.

View Profile   IP Logged
pdirac

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2019, 9:03pm

Sorry, I thought the pictures were already added. I had sent them but seems that they didn't load up successfully. How should I add a picture here? I'm new and not sure how to do that.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2019, 10:21am

You can create a new post and either press the 'Insert Image' button (the third button) or you can add it as an attachment.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.