The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:55am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to get Nyquist plot with VIVA ? (Read 1510 times)
pwm

How to get Nyquist plot with VIVA ?
Sep 14th, 2019, 6:39pm

Using Spectre and VIVA. I need Nyquist plot with real and Imaginary axis to analyze stability. Thanks !

View Profile hoonsk   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How to get Nyquist plot with VIVA ?
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2019, 4:06am

You can do this by running a stability analysis (stb) in Spectre, and then using the Results Browser go to the "stb" results and picking that the graph type will be either "Polar" or "RealvsImag" rather than "Default" (which is "Rectangular") and then double clicking on the "loopGain" signal within the stb results.

It's probably polar that you want rather than real vs imaginary because that then shows both the unit circle and also the angles - so it's easier to assess the stability that way.

Regards,

Andrew

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pwm

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2019, 6:52am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Sep 17th, 2019, 4:06am:
You can do this by running a stability analysis (stb) in Spectre, and then using the Results Browser go to the "stb" results and picking that the graph type will be either "Polar" or "RealvsImag" rather than "Default" (which is "Rectangular") and then double clicking on the "loopGain" signal within the stb results.

It's probably polar that you want rather than real vs imaginary because that then shows both the unit circle and also the angles - so it's easier to assess the stability that way.

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew !
It's strange that I could not find the RealvsImag in the Result Browser, only the Polar is available.
The case I have is strange, the phase margin is >60deg, Gain margin > 15dB and yet I have more than 3 rings in the transient. I don't think it is due to large signal instability i.e. it tripped some comparator. I notice that the Q factor due to the complex pole can be a factor, i.e. the higher the gain-peaking, the worse the ringing it will be. Maybe there's another better way to assess the stability due to the gain-peaking that can be recommended ?

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2019, 6:00am

Which IC version are you using? (the precise number that's in Help->About in any Virtuoso window will help).

Hard to know what your stability issue is without more details.

Regards,

Andrew

pwm

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2019, 5:34pm

Andrew Beckett wrote on Sep 22nd, 2019, 6:00am:
Which IC version are you using? (the precise number that's in Help->About in any Virtuoso window will help).

Hard to know what your stability issue is without more details.

Regards,

Andrew

Virtuoso 6.1.7-64b

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2019, 7:32am

That's only the first part of the version number - I asked for the entire version number (which is shown on the Help->About form)

If it makes it easier, type in the CIW: getVersion(t)
and then post the result here.

Andrew.

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2019, 7:38am

Actually, I just checked in the base release (IC6.1.7-64b.78) and RealVsImag is there - so I'd be surprised if it went missing in a later sub-version.

Here's what it looks like for me in the results browser...

Andrew

resultsBrowser.png
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.