The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 18th, 2024, 8:57pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power calculation when a high-frequency sinusoidal voltage source is applied (Read 22 times)
Peng_Li

Hangzhou, China
Power calculation when a high-frequency sinusoidal voltage source is applied
Oct 4th, 2019, 8:20pm

Hi,
In my recent work, I need to calculate the electrical power consumed by a conductor (using Verilog-A).

As we know, the impedance of a conductor varies with the frequency of the electrical excitation applied. For example, its dc resistance is assumed to be Rdc, and the resistance at 20 GHz is assumed to be Rac (because of skin effect).
The electrical excitation is a sinusoidal voltage source, which is expressed as
V=V0+Va*sin(2*pi*freq*t)
where V0 is the dc component; Va is the amplitude of the ac component; freq is the frequency; t is the time.

My question is, in the following, which is the correct way to calculate the electrical power consumption of the conductor?
(1) Power consumption on Rac with both dc and ac voltage component applied
(2) The summation of dc power consumption on Rdc and ac power consumption on Rac

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

« Last Edit: Oct 05th, 2019, 7:09pm by Peng_Li »  
View Profile   IP Logged
saigoutham

Re: Power calculation when a high-frequency sinusoidal voltage source is applied
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2019, 6:00pm

Hi Peng,

I think, you need to take sum of Vo*Rdc and average of (Va*sin(2*pi*freq*t))*Rac to find average power consumption.
Did you try running a simulation on existing models for a conductor in Spectre or any other simulator to cross verify 1 and 2?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.