The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Propagation coefficient extraction (Read 1764 times)
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Propagation coefficient extraction
Nov 20th, 2019, 10:22am

Hi everyone,

I have reached again my limits. I must make an error in interpreting the phase coefficient (the imaginary part of the propagation coefficient). I've got transmission lines, where the A value in the ABCD (or 1,1 index element in the chain matrix) supposed to be as in the attached formula.
Therefore I expect the angle of A to increase linearly with the frequency. Instead of that I see step-like function when I plot my measurement or simulation results. I've attached one - in the next post - based on simulated S-paramters, i.e. there should not be any effect of pads or noise. The only discrepancy should be the not exactly 50Ohm characteristic impedance, but for any practical considerations, it is 50Ohm. The permittivity is also not constant and a function of the frequency, but not in this way.

Am I wrong somewhere? Is the attached plot normal?

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2019, 11:47am by Horror Vacui »  

A_alpha_beta.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: Propagation constant extraction
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2019, 10:24am

And the angle vs freq plot

angle_A_vs_freq.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.