The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shooting Method Question (Read 4403 times)
rickk

Shooting Method Question
Mar 20th, 2003, 5:57pm

I'm trying to build a simulator that can perform a periodic-steady-state analysis using the "plain" shooting method (w/out krylov). I already have a simulator that can perform a transient analysis with reactive and non-linear elements using the backward euler method.  

I'm having trouble calculating the Jacobian.  In Kundert et al's papers, there is reference to the C/h+G matrices. However this is assuming the plain nodal analysis approach. My question is this, How do I calculate the Jacobian with modified nodal analysis (MNA) stamps?

View Profile   IP Logged
skippy

Re: Shooting Method Question
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2003, 5:54pm

The G matrix is the conductance, or di/dv terms.

The C matrix is the capacitance, or dq/dv terms.

h is the time step.

For MNA you would need to swap the rows of your voltage sources with other rows so that you do not have a 0 diagonal element in your Jacobian.

The C/h elements for inductors would probably be something like L/h.

Rodgrigues has a pretty good book
Computer-Aided Analysis of Nonlinear Microwave Circuits
Author: Paulo J. Rodrigues, Artech house, 1997

but its focus is mainly in the frequency domain.

There is also a much older book by McCalla which talks about MNA stamps:
W. J. McCalla, Fundamentals of Computer-Aided Simulation. Boston: Kluwer, 1987.

View Profile   IP Logged
skippy

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2003, 5:58pm

I have heard that certain aspects of the Shooting Method with respect to the use of iterative methods are patented?  Could someone (perhaps K Kundert) tell me which parts are?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2003, 11:50am

To simplify notation when writing papers I always formulated the methods in terms of nodal analysis with the understanding that the formulation could be extended to MNA by assuming that C is the portion of the Jacobian that is associated with the time-derivitive terms and G is everything else.

There are patents that address the application of Krylov techiques to shooting methods, but none that I am aware of that cover the base shooting methods.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.