The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:00pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clarification requested (Read 5972 times)
saurabh

clarification requested
Apr 14th, 2003, 1:36pm

Hi Ken!

I was going through your paper on phase-noise and jitter measurements (the one you update a few days back). Tell me if the equations S_{v} of equation 22 is the same as S_{n} of equation 35.

thanks,
saurabh

IP Logged
saurabh

Re: clarification requested
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2003, 2:56pm

Sorry for messing up my query. What I wanted to ask was that whether the variables S_{v} and S_{n} represent the same thing in equations 22 and 35 of your paper.

thanks,
saurabh

IP Logged
saurabh

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2003, 5:17pm

I think I have an answer for my query.
S_{v} is the PSD of the total output voltage noise.
S_{n} is the PSD for the output voltage noise that has been computed at sampled time points using strobed noise analysis of spectreRF.

Is my understanding correct?

Also, how does spectreRF do the strobed noise analysis. Isn't it computationally expensive to do a complete transient noise simulation (even for period T in this case)?

thanks,
saurabh

IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2003, 9:08pm

Saurabh,
   Sv of (22) is the power spectral density of the noisy output signal of a free running oscillator.
   Sn of (35) is the power spectral density of the ni sequence.
   ni is the sequence that results from samping the output noise of the frequency divider at every threshold crossing.

So your statements are correct, but you failed to indicate that (22) applies to oscillators and (35) to frequency dividers.

The Jitter Man

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:11pm

The strobed noise analysis is not a full transient noise simulation. You can think of Spectre performing a conventionaly PNoise analysis, with a sampler inserted between the output of your circuit and the input to the noise analysis. If you only ask for one strobe point, the cost of a strobed noise analysis (referred to as a time-domain noise analysis in Artist) is about the same as a conventional pnoise analysis.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.