The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 8th, 2024, 9:11pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
phase noise for oscillator (Read 5720 times)
Steven

phase noise for oscillator
May 22nd, 2003, 12:02pm

Hi I have designed an oscillator with 2.4G oscillation frequency. I am new to the phase noise simulation in SPectre. I followed the pss and pnoise set to simulate phase noise, it gives me error when running pss, complaining something like the oscillation node is too small relative to the period of oscillator. Can i know why?? I have tried using traponly method but still has this error.

Please advise. Thanks.

IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Re: phase noise for oscillator
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2003, 9:44am

I suspect that either you did not start the oscillator, or the oscillation is quenched before the steady-state portion of the PSS analysis begins because you did not give it a large enough kick to get it started properly. You can use either initial conditions or a transient source to start the oscillator, as described in section 4.4.2 in The Designer's Guide to SPICE and Spectre by Kundert  (http://www.designers-guide.com/books.html).

The Jitter Man

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
junkwar2003

WA
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2004, 5:59pm

I ran into similar problem. Basically I placed a psin source driving a dummy ckt. and then it was fine. Also you must enable the ossillator option and select the driven and output node. When there are no periodic source in the schematic spectre gives that error for some reason [i used ipulse to kick start the ossc]. I am still novice in using spectre but someone else maybe able to better explain. But method i mentioned would get you around your problem.

Parag

View Profile   IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2004, 9:22pm

Junkwar,
You are only partially correct. You do need to let the PSS analysis know that the circuit is autonomous (an oscillator) by specifying a pair of node to the PSS analysis. The voltage difference on the nodes should have a significant component at the fundamental frequency, so they could be connected to the output or perhaps to the resonator (the nodes do not load the circuit in anyway).

The warning about the period being too small is an indication that the voltage difference on the nodes is constant valued. This could be because you connected the PSS analysis to the wrong nodes, but more often it is because the oscillator is not oscillating.

In an autonomous analysis, there should be no sources that produce a time-varying steady state signal. So you should get rid or the psin source. If the oscillator really does start, the simulator will not converge because there will be two different periods present.

Jitter Man

Alez

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2004, 4:36am

Hi Steven,

This might help:

In case that your oscillator really does oscillate, you

might forget to set some options for PSS analysis.

Goto PSS-> Options -> Time Step Parameter

Then set "time step" and "max. time step" as you set for Transient analysis (normally one-tenth of the oscillation period)

Hope this help, Good luck

Alez

IP Logged
shanks

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2004, 9:55pm

Is there any procedure to accurately measure jittre in PLL, or can we measure phase noise for each block individually..?

IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2004, 10:50pm

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.