The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
depletion width (Read 4040 times)
Jason_class

depletion width
Sep 14th, 2003, 5:22am

Hello All ,

May I know why the depletion width for n side of a pn junction is longer than that of the p side?
Also why is the p(x) for n side smaller than that of pside?
Kindly let me know which formula I should refer to?
Thank you

rgds and thanks
jason_class

IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: depletion width
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2003, 3:15pm

Jason -
If the dopant density (which I think you are calling p(x)) is smaller on the n side, then this forces the depletion width to be larger on the n side.  It's simple math: the depleted charge on either side must be equal (at equilibrium), and the depleted charge is the density times the volume.  Assuming equal cross-sectional area, you're left with the depletion width.

As to why n doping is less than p doping, this is process-specific.  One could build an (n)(p+) diode or an (n+)(p) diode, ie, with either side more highly doped than the other.  I don't know if there's a reason that diodes would typically be doped stronger on the p side.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jason_class
Community Member

singapore
Re: depletion width
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2003, 9:05am

Thanks a lot Geoffrey.
You are very helpful

rgds and thanks
Jason

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.