The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CMOS Switch on-resistance (Read 4728 times)
boa

CMOS Switch on-resistance
Feb 09th, 2004, 1:54pm

I am sorry for asking very basic things but anyway..
How can I measure CMOS switch on-resistance in a simulator?

I am a bit confused since I've seen 2 variants:

1. The sources of NMOS and PMOS are connected to sweeping DC voltage, the gates are connected to Vdd and Vss consequently and the drains are  connected to a capacitor whose other plate is connected to the ground. There is a small fixed Vds  voltage for transistors (DC source between source and drain).

2. The drains are connected directly to the ground (and there is no fixed Vds voltage across the switch).

Which variant is better for estimating the settling time of SC circuits??

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: CMOS Switch on-resistance
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2004, 12:17am

Hi boa,

personnally I would use the first method, obtaining the switches on-resistance as the ratio between the small Vds voltage (e.g 100mV) and the current flowing through this Vds voltage source. You don't need the capacitor as you are doing a DC sweep.

Notice that the on-resistance depends a lot on the voltage applied with respect to ground (the swept DC voltage). To be sure your design will work, you should take the worst-case resistance inside your useful signal swing. The signal swing may depend on the place of the switch in the schematic.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
erikwanta

Re: CMOS Switch on-resistance
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2004, 6:16pm

Can you not use the ron value calculated by spectre in the OP results?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.