The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 10:55am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter of Synchronous counters (Read 3616 times)
justin

Jitter of Synchronous counters
Mar 29th, 2004, 1:07am

Hi

I am having a bit of trouble calculating the jitter of a simple clock divider.  The clock divider is implemented in an Altera FPGA.  The output is monitored using an Agilent Spectrum Analyzer and phase noise plotted.  From there jitter is calculated by integrating.  I do believe the program I have written is correct, I have compared it to answers from examples given in papers about the topic.

Quoting your document  "Unlike in ripple counters, phase noise does not accumulate with each stage in synchronous counters"

I agree with the above but the test results tell me otherwise:

Output frequency        Jitter
100 Mhz                      12 ps
25  Mhz                       23 ps
6.25 Mhz                     98 ps

I would think the jitter would stay more or less the same as output frequency decreases.

Does any one have any ideas as to what is happening here ?  

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Jitter Man
Community Member

Am I? Or am I so
sane that u just
blew your mind?

Re: Jitter of Synchronous counters
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2004, 7:25pm

If you just connect a spectrum analyzer to the output of a divider, you are seeing the noise produced by the output "at all time", which includes the noise produced while it is sitting high or sitting low. This noise does not contribute to jitter. This is explained more fully in sections 35 and 36 in http://www.designers-guide.com/Theory/cyclo-preso.pdf.

I suspect that you are going to have to use a time-interval analyzer rather than a spectrum analyzer.

Jitter Man

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Re: Jitter of Synchronous counters
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2004, 1:18am

Dear justin

You can also use Communications system analyzer to directly measure jitters.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.