The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 3:58pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation of Jitter behavior. (Read 2976 times)
Aigneryu

Simulation of Jitter behavior.
Jul 31st, 2004, 1:37am

Ken had already write a set of clear papers to explain jitter/phasenoise in PLL. And he also introduce the way to simulate PLL jitters and phasenoise with vewrilog -A/AMS behavioral modeling.

However, when using cadence spectre to perform behvioral transient simulation, how fine should we set the accuracy settings? For example, since the behaviral models use Monte-Carlo like simulation, if uniform steps are applied, the maximum time step should be much smaller than the jitter to preserve the jitter behaviors. But this sytle would cost a lot of time.

I know ADS use sawtooth waveform to perform interpolation to optain timings accuracy finer than the minimum time steps in PLL simulations. This method is somewhat similar to switch from voltage domain to phase domain.

If I use verilog to model jitters, things seem to be easier since the simulation would be event-driven. Of course, I can switch the PLL modeling to the phase or frequency domain. But what I wonder is that-- how to preserve the accuracy of jitter simulation more efficiently? especially in low jitter systems.

By the way, I heard that Eldo can do transient simulation with noise. How can we modify the spectre simulation bench to perform such simulations, that is--to automatically generate noise voltage/current in devices in transient simulation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Simulation of Jitter behavior.
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2004, 8:44am

In the behavioral transient simulations you can simply use default tolerances. If anything, you only need to set the ttol parameters on the models. Though the models are written in Verilog-A, they are essentially event-driven because the timing is based completely on cross and transistion functions.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.