The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 4:07pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Instrument inteference in jitter measurement (Read 2468 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Instrument inteference in jitter measurement
Aug 17th, 2004, 5:29am

Hi,

I measured the jitter of the output of Agilent 33250A function/arbitrary waveform generator. Its peak-to-peak jitter is about 120ps when the output is 80MHz.

To my surprise, it increased to about 160ps when I turned on a HP 3234A DC power supply. Then it increased to 400ps when I turned on a HP 16500C logic analysis system. Those two instruments were put in half a meter near the Agilent 33250A.  :(

Obviously, the instruments had prominent interference on the output of Agilent 33250A.  ??? Do you have any method to avoid or reduce the interference?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Instrument inteference in jitter measurement
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2004, 6:01am

Yawei,

maybe you should try to find out whether interference is due to power supply (220V or whatever) or due to EMI. In the first case you could try to use seperate power nodes. Typically you have 3 phases of power supply (at least over here in Europe) and you could use seperate ones.

But I expect it to be EMI, so that wouldn't help. In that case, I don't know... Maybe go ask Agilent, all equipment comes from them...

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.