The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 3:41pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oscillator phase noise caused by 1/f noise (Read 3900 times)
Aigneryu

oscillator phase noise caused by 1/f noise
Sep 08th, 2004, 2:01am

Dear Ken,

In your PLL phase noise+jitter paper (version 4b), the result of Demir is adopted to model a free-running oscillator. The perturbation including white and flicker noise is described as eq.(20): Su(df)=1+fc/df. And the resulted Sphi is described as eq(20): Sphi(df)=n(1/df^2+fc/fd^3).

According to these two equations, the phase noise spectrum should introduction a 1/f^3 and 1/f^2 corner frequency fc,phi, which is exactly the same as the flicker noise corner frequency. However, in the well-know phase noise tutorial written by Ali Hajimiri, who introduced the impulse sensitivity function, the 1/f^3 corner frequency should not be the same as the flicker noise corner frequency, except some special situations. Can Spectre simulator be utilized to examine the inconsistency? I mean can we use an ideal MOS, which incorporates basic non-linear I/V characteristics, white noise and other colored noise sources to make a oscillator to find out the 1/f^3 corner frequency which is caused by flicker noise.

I remember that the flicker noise corner frequency of MOS transistor is usually very large as well as several mega Hertz, but when I measure or simulate oscillators, I find the corner frequency in phase noise is one or two order lower than the flicker corner frequency.

Sincerely,

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: oscillator phase noise caused by 1/f noise
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2004, 2:26pm

Aigneryu,
If there is a single source of noise in an oscillator, and if that source exhibits both flicker noise and white noise, then flicker noise corner frequency for the oscillator will be the same as for the source. However, in any real oscillator there will be many sources of noise that all combine. This is the reason why the corner frequency for the oscillator as a whole is different from any particular source.

The mathematics I presented in that paper was for a simple conceptual model that was intended to explain the macro behavior of oscillator phase noise.  The mathematics presented are not representative of what is going on inside Spectre when it computes the phase noise of an oscillator.

In this model, the corner frequency of the oscillator is the same as for the source because only one noise source was considered. In Spectre all noise sources are considered, and so yes, Spectre can be used to examine this effect.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Re: oscillator phase noise caused by 1/f noise
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2004, 8:22pm

Dear Ken,

Thanks a lot for your simple but quite clear answer.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.