The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 6:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PNOISE for Sigma-Delta Switched Cap Integrator (Read 6624 times)
conglinghu

PNOISE for Sigma-Delta Switched Cap Integrator
Apr 08th, 2004, 8:04pm

Hi,

I am following the example in "Device Noise Simulation of Delta-Sigma Modulators" from this website.  It suggests to analyze the switched-cap integrator with close loop setting and get the input referred noise. But in the "tdnoise"'s "direct plot form", I cannot get the "input referred noise" output.

Should I use "source" to do pnoise? But in that way, I cannot get the folded noise. Because this integrator is used in my sigma delta ADC, so I'd like to get the folded noise as suggested in another paper from this website. (Simulating Switched-Capacitor Filters with SpectreRF).

Your help is highly appreciated! Kiss

Cong

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: PNOISE for Sigma-Delta Switched Cap Integrator
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2004, 4:35am

I'm not that familiar with the delta-sigma paper (I've only skimmed it, and not had a chance to fully digest it yet). However, pnoise _does_ include noise folding effects - you don't have to use the strobed noise analysis (tdnoise) to get noise folding...

I vaguely recall seeing a PCR on the input-referred noise problem, but I can't find it from a little bit of searching...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
conglinghu

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2004, 10:54am

Thank you for your reply, Andrew.

In the past few days, I found something:

1.  the pnoise cannot report the input-referred noise. I am using ic5033 in Linux. The software always says the input is not a port, even I am using a port. I asked somebody and they suspect it is a bug in Cadence. So I use noise factor to calculate the input-referred noise. (F-1)*4kTR, the results make sense.

2. the sigma-delta adc is a continuous-to-discrete circuit, so all I need is to calculate all folded noise into (fsample/2), so if I use "tdnoise", I just need to sweep freqeuncy from 0 to (fsample/2), but for "source", I need to sweep more sidebands to get the integral power. I tried both methods for simple "sample-and-hold" circuit, and the results are almost the same, but "source" takes longer simulation time.

But the problem is "tdnoise" cannot give me input-referred noise, so I will use "source" as you suggested and try to find a way out to get input-referred noise, even it is longer and needs to calculate from noise factor. If you have any new ideas, could you share with me?  Thank you so much!

cong  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2004, 11:55am

Cong,

First of all there's a limitation at the moment that it won't give you input referred noise _if_ the input is a port. It used to in older versions, and it will be added back.

The reason why it was removed is that it is referred back to the source within the port, and so was not really giving you a useful figure if the input was not perfectly matched. This is fine provided that you realise what is happening, but many didn't, and so the ability to do input referred noise was removed when the input was a port.

So, if you want input referred noise, use a voltage source.
I'm assuming you're not dealing with an impedance matched system, so there's no particular need to make it a port.

(BTW, when measuring noise figure, the input _must_ be
a port, because it has to generate noise).

I don't entirely understand your comment about needing
to sweep above half the sample frequency when using noisetype "sources". What controls whether noise is folded is the input sidebands that are included - usually set with the maxsidebands parameter. So if you set maxsidebands to 30 (say) it will include noise from the sidebands up to and including 30 times the PSS fundamental - and these will be folded into the output frequency you sweep. There's no need to sweep across a bigger range.

This is true whether you do pnoise or tdnoise - and in general, tdnoise will be slower, because it sort of has to do a pnoise at each time point you're strobing at.

As for tdnoise not giving you input referred noise - I'm wondering how useful that really is - being able to see how the noise varies, referred back to the input of the circuit, over the period. I'm not convinced that's really what you want (please feel free to correct me!)

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
conglinghu

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2004, 12:30pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your comments.

I did try voltage source to do pnoise, but when I asked for "input-referred noise", the output window still complains there is no port.

As for the sweep frequency range, my understanding is: the ADC will convert a continuous time signal to a discrete time signal. So in frequency domain, the signal's spectrum is duplicated in peroid of "fsample". All duplicated signal's strength are the same. So if the signal or noise's bandwidth is wider than fsample/2, we will see aliasing.

In cadence, the tdnoise analysis can simulate this aliasing effect and only 0-fsample/2 sweep is needed. For example, the KT/C noise power is folded, then if I integrate the power from 0 to fsample/2, I can get KT/C power.

But in "source" simulation, the analysis does simulation on the ADC's _analog_ output, which is usually a step response in time domain, which means the ADC samples the continuous time signal input and outputs a flat step voltage(still analog),  to represent the input signal at the sampling time. So, in frequency domain, the signal spectrum is duplicated first, then modulated by a Sinc function. Therefore, in "source" simulation, the spectrum output's strength is modulated by "Sinc" function. Although all sideband's power are folded  into (0 ~ fsample/2), but it is modulated by sinc function, it is not flat any more. So if I integrate this bandwidth, the power is less than the theory value. But if I integrate all the sidebands, the more sidebands I integrate, the more accurate the power is.

I did not go deep in the math here, I just guess and try. Maybe it is true that the integral of Sinc function equals to one. I am not sure.

If I am wrong, please correct me. Thank you very much again.

Best Regards,

cong

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2004, 5:33pm by conglinghu »  
View Profile   IP Logged
conglinghu

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2004, 5:33pm

I found I can get the "input-referred noise" from calculator->psf->pnoise-pnoise->in.

cong

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.