The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 7:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggest me the architecture of Ring VCO! (Read 2855 times)
VincentLee

Suggest me the architecture of Ring VCO!
Apr 28th, 2004, 1:05am

Hello everyone,

I am designing a VCO in a PLL which uses for clock generator in MCU. So its operating frequency is not very high, tuning range is about 10MHz~200MHz. And it will be implemented by CMOS 0.6um process with 5V power supply. In addition, the input control voltage also needs wide control range.

In many specs, I focus on the lower phase noise characteristics and higher PSRR. Firstly, due to the low frequency application, I select the Ring VCO. However, there are so lots of IEEE papers about the Ring VCO that I can't decide which one is best for me.

So please suggest me the achitecture of Ring VCO! I would like use the differential cascode structure to build my Ring VCO, how do you think about its performence?
Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Vincent

try my best...
View Profile   IP Logged
Augustine B Lytan

Re: Suggest me the architecture of Ring VCO!
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2004, 11:21am

Hi,
 The delay with balanced loads by maneatis is one of the most popular one as it has very good psrr. you can have a look at the paper:
Low-jitter Process-Independent DLL and PLL Based on Self-Bias Techniques

Author: John G. Maneatis
IEEE Journal of Solid-state circuits, Vol 31, No 11, November 1996.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
        augustine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.