The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RF PAD, need to use ESD? (Read 2709 times)
wccheng

RF PAD, need to use ESD?
May 16th, 2004, 6:52am

Dear all,

For the high frequency PAD, do I need to use ESD? As I know, the ESD pad with high parasitic capacitor. If I use it in the high frequency path, it will affect my performance. RIGHT????  ???

If the ESD is needed to use in the high frequency path, is any special ESD for high frequency? Could you teach me? Thanks  ;)

Best Regards,

wccheng

View Profile   IP Logged
City

Re: RF PAD, need to use ESD?
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2004, 12:35am

Hi,

I don't exactly know what at what max frequency you are operating but a compromise for ESD in RF is to use ESD supply (transient) railclamps together with junctions diodes. For the RF pad, you might just want to reduce the diode area so as to reduce the parasitic associated capacitor (beware of additive nonlinearity).
I have seen some papers about ditributed ESD protection, but it is highly area inefficient. Another possible way is to come out of the chip with impedance transformation (via integrated baluns) at lower impedance, so that you may keep a satisfactory ESD protection.

City

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.