The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 5:51pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
State transition matrix from PSS simulation (Read 3151 times)
jlgonzalez

UPC-Barcelona
State transition matrix from PSS simulation
May 25th, 2004, 3:28am

I'm revising some theoretical works about phase noise in oscillators (particularly the works of A. Demir and Franz. X. Kaertner). I would like to calculate the state transition matrix for a circuit. SpectreRF PSS analysis calculates it when solving the steady-state solution of a periodically time varying circuit. Is it possible to obtain this matrix from the simulator?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: State transition matrix from PSS simulation
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2004, 9:08am

Sorry, no. You are correct in that it is calculated and used internally, but there is no facility available for outputing it.

-Ken

jlgonzalez

UPC-Barcelona
Re: State transition matrix from PSS simulation
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2004, 9:40am

Thanks for the information. I would like to formulate another question.

My concern is in autonomous circuits. The theoretical work of A. Demir (and others) has shown that a linearized perturbation analysis of this LPTV system of equations is not correct for phase noise in oscillators, because the phase noise can be very large even for very small perturbations.
I have read the theory section of the SpectreRF user  guide about Oscillator Noise Analysis and it seems to me that the analysis is done using the linearization technique, instead of the non-linear perturbation analysis proposed by A. Demir. Is that correct?

I have done some simulations in a VCO by inserting voltage sources at several nodes of the circuit. The idea was to analyze which of the nodes is responsible of the most important contribution to phase noise. I'm looking only at the transfer function corresponding to up-conversion of low frequency components to the sidebands of the fundamental of the oscillator. I run a PSS and a PXF analysis. The transfer functions that I found (corresponding to the harmonic -1) grow unbounded as the offset frequency approaches 0. If I multiply this transfer functions by a noise PSD at the perturbed nodes I expect to find the same result that by running a PNOISE analysis with only the -1 sideband. Is that correct?

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.