The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should nwell shield be tied to vdd or gnd? (Read 4493 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Should nwell shield be tied to vdd or gnd?
Jun 11th, 2004, 1:29am

Hello,

As well known, nwell is often used as shield for PIP cap, MIM cap, or resisitors. But should the nwell shield be tied to vdd or gnd?

In Chapter 2, Analog Integrated Circuit Design, by David Johns and Ken Martin, it shows some examples that nwell shield is tied to ground.

From my point, I always tie the nwell shield to VDD to assure the p-n junction is reverse biased.

Who can analyze the two method for me?

Thanks in advance.

Yawei Guo

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Should nwell shield be tied to vdd or gnd?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2004, 8:18am

Hello Yawei,

if you tie it to VDD, the PN junction is reverse biased. If you tie it to GND, the PN junction has 0V bias, which is fine too. As it is supposed to serve as a shield, you must select your biasing node carefully. In single-ended circuits GND is usually used as the reference, a good reason to use it for shielding. But don't take the same GND node than the one for the surrounding substrate contacts, it makes shieling useless.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Should nwell shield be tied to vdd or gnd?
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2004, 9:39pm

Hello, Paul,

Thank you. Normally, I tie shielding, or guardring to a pair of vdd and vss which is separate from other powers and grounds.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.