The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CMOS Mixer Chopping & Multiplication and Noise (Read 1954 times)
wccheng

CMOS Mixer Chopping & Multiplication and Noise
Jun 15th, 2004, 4:04am

Dear all,

For the Noise Figure Problem:
In the previous reply in this newsgroup, someone said that the Chopping mixer is lower NF compared with the Multiplication one. However, in the chopping principle, the large signal switching will create larger noise compared with the multiplication. Morevoer, the feed-through effect to the IF. It will make the noise much larger than the multiplication mode.

In the simulation, the chopping is smaller NF than the multiplication. WHY? As I think, the IF power in the chopping mixing is larger than the multiplication mixing. Therefore, SNRout is larger and make the NF lower. Do my this explanation correct?

For the Chopping and Multiplication Problem:
In the chopping, the transistor will switch between cut-off and saturation region. However, as the transistor switch to the saturation region, the impedance will be larger compared with the linear. Then, the output power will lower in the IF. Actually, is the chopping switching between cut-off and LINEAR instead of the cut-off and SATURATION?

On the other hand, could CMOS working as multiplier? I means working as the two sin waves in multiplication. Is it just could work at sub-threshold region only?

I am really your expert helping.   Undecided

Best Regards,

wccheng

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.