The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Supply Modeling (Read 11370 times)
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Power Supply Modeling
Jul 01st, 2004, 12:49am

Hello,

I am currently developing VHDL-AMS models for some mixed-signal circuits (amplifiers etc.) and I wondered what others think about including power supply connections to the models. Most people don't, is it because it's not useful or because they are used not to do it in classical VHDL/Verilog?

Auxiliary question: what is your preference in modeling differential circuits, refer both outputs single-ended to ground or have a DM voltage across the output and a CM from the midpoint to GND?

Thanks for giving your opinion.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
alex

Re: Power Supply Modeling
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:47am

In some cases adding power supply may help.

Besides, if you are developing VHDL-AMS models, it is highly desirable to add models of SMPS power supplies - step up (boost) and step down (buck).

Alex

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2004, 1:38am

[quote author=alex  link=1088668158/0#1 date=1088754438]
Besides, if you are developing VHDL-AMS models, it is highly desirable to add models of SMPS power supplies - step up (boost) and step down (buck).
Alex [/quote]

Hi Alex,

thanks for your answer, but I don't see the point about the SMPS converters... I don't develop the models for sake of writing models, but to verify my system, which does not contain switched power supplies.

Can you explain please.

Paul

sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2004, 5:47pm

Paul,

There are a lot of different philosophies on this topic and the answer depends what you are trying to do.  If you are just building a simple model to test an idea than you probably don't need power supply connections. However, if you plan to anything close to design, then you will need to add power supply pins. In fact, I would all the pins at all the levels.  "Pin correct" behavior modeling is important for a couple of reasons. First, is is useful if you share models with other designers, in particular, system designers. System designers need to interface to the block so having all the pins and modeling them correctly are important. For example, is signal X active hi/active lo, is the output 2s complement/straight binary, ...  Next, it will help you out during design for the same reason, that is, it will allow you verify all the modes of operation for a design. On some recent models, we included effects such as lock-out, if the power supply drops below a certain voltage the block stops working allowing us to model start-up.  In addition, pin-correct models allow you to debug your testbenches and verification strategy before starting transistor level design. Debuggin at the transistor level is a pain, nobody wants to wait 5 hours for a simulation to complete only to find a testbench issue. Finally, pin correct means all the symobls and the design heirarchy are correct which again makes transistor level design al lot easier.

So if you are designing a channel filter for a Wireless application:
Case I: what is the effect of open loop gain on the transfer function? don't need power pins
Case II: Does the filter calibration algorithm work correctly?  probably need power supply pins, that is, does the filter start-up, does the calibration block start-up, is calibration disabled when complete, ...

Sorry for the long answer, hope it helps, or at least stimulates some more discussion.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 2:01pm

Art,

thanks for sharing your exhaustive and interesting point of view. My concern with modeling power supplies at the system level is that supplies do usually *not* appear at the system level, i.e. digital blocks modeled in VHDL/Verilog are not sensitive to power supply levels. This may make it hard to simulate start-up behavior of mixed designs. Does it then still make sense to include the start-up behavior of the analog parts, or do you have any work-around suggestion to this?

My second question on referencing differential signals is still open, too.

Thanks for your comments!

Paul

Eugene

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 5:54pm

However, this discussion is  posted in the "VHDL-AMS" area. If I were doing a mixed signal system level simulation, I would want to include power supply pins and definitely simulate power up. In real life, digital blocks don't work without a power supply and I don't think it's safe to assume the supply will always be properly connected or at the proper level. I would take advantage of the "AMS" part of the language to ensure the digital supplies are at least present and have the proper polarity.

As for the auxiliary question, if either method is implemented properly, I don't see how the rest of the system can tell the difference. I suppose I would use the two single ended sources because that approach has one less node.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2005, 1:13am

Eugene,

thanks for your answer to both questions. I guess "VHDL-AMS" is the correct area to discuss both analog/mixed-signal modeling *and* it's combined use with pure digital VHDL code. Anyway, I did not see any VHDL section  ;)

From my point of view, it makes little sense to perform system-level simulations without including the digital blocks. I fully agree that one cannot assume the digital power is always supplied correctly, but my question is how to take this into account in simulation. Replacing the digital VHDL part with a supply sensitive VHDL-AMS code is usually unfeasible, I believe. Or do you suggest to parse the VHDL code and replace all gates by power sensitive ones and add extra supply connections in the code? I am very interested in your approach.

Paul

Eugene

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2005, 8:45am

Paul,

The dependence of digital blocks on analog signals is, in my opinion, the main reason for investing in a mixed signal tool. If we can't find a way to use the language for something as simple as a test for proper power supply voltage within an otherwise digital block, then I see no reason to invest in mixed signal simulators at all. At this point I must confess that my group is still trying to justify an investment in mixed signal tools. I am therefore very interested in why you don't think the AMS part of VHDL-AMS is the answer to your problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2005, 7:30pm

Paul,

I guess the answer is case-by-case. If you intent is purely
system level design, then you may not need power supply
pins. However, if you intend to actually implement the design
then adding the power supply pins from the beginning is
recommended.

On the question of differential signals, again the answer is
case-by-case. For example, when implementing Baseband
models(special type of RF models that simulate quickly), I
would not add the the common-mode level. Baseband models
are only used for system level analysis and these types of
blocks are ac-coupled anyway. However, this question can
get complicated for example when modeling a pipeline ADC.
When modeling the 1.5bit MDAC stage you should add the
common-mode level. If you have a full structuctural
model[switch/capacitor/op-amp], then you will need the
common-mode feedback loop of the op-amp and the common-
mode reference voltage generator.

Usually, at some point in the design process you need
to include transistor level effects in your simulation to
verify the results of the system level analysis. If you don't
build in power supply pins, common-mode voltage levels,
etc. these simulations are very difficult to do.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2005, 11:40pm

Eugene, Art,

thanks for your comments. I fully agree that the optimum solution depends on the type of simulations to be done. I will focus here on system-level (mixed analog-digital) verification and try to answer Eugene's question in this context. In my former job, we tended to implement start-up behavior of analog parts as a function of supply voltage. When combining the VHDL-AMS models of these parts with the digital parts in VHDL (could also be Verilog), the following problems arose:
a) outputs of analog part depend on power supply, but outputs of digital part do not depend on power supply
b) using VHDL on top (seems to be faster in simulation), supplies are not present in the top-level simulation netlist

Discussion of a)
to make the digital part supply sensitive, we would have to replace the digital blocks by a VHDL-AMS description, which could be done using an alternate power sensitive cell library, but would tremendously slow down simulation. An alternative could be inserting some supply sensitive buffers in between digital and analog parts, for simulation only. What's your point of view?

Discussion of b)
As the digital design flow (from simulation to synthesis and P&R) makes abstraction of supplies, these are defined in a separate file for the P&R tools and not directly available to the simulator. If you operate one of the changes discussed before, then supplies can be added to the top-level netlist, but this netlist is different from the one used for P&R. So you can validate the system, but it will not guarantee that the supplies are routed correctly in full-chip verification. But post-layout verification is probably not your concern, Eugene, is it? For this, I guess you have to rely on table-based transistor-level simulators like MachTA (Mentor). Cadence certainly has an equivalent simulator, but I don't know its name. Somebody certainly can give a hint on this.

Paul

Eugene

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2005, 7:58pm

Paul,

I agree that no one model fits all jobs. Early in the design, I too would opt for speed and use purely digital models. However, just before layout, I would put an AMS wrapper around the purely digital blocks and tolerate the long run times. The wrapper would include buffers that translate analog supply voltages into single bits that tell the digital blocks whether to proceed. Even if the simulation does not run to completion, the act of modeling the buffers may force the right engineers to talk about supply voltages when they might not otherwise (which would be risky). The idea is to check functionality and pin accuracy, not necessarily performance, before one invests in a layout.

As for post-layout verification, isn't the behavioral modeling issue moot since you're working with device level models at that point?

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2005, 1:23am

Right Eugene,

I agree that we must find ways to make designers of different parts talk to each other. My only concern in this approach is that stimulating the discussion about supply voltages and interfaces this late in the flow may be costly. It would be preferrable to introduce this kind of modeling early in the flow to avoid redesigning part because of this kind of issue. But I agree that this kind of model should definitely be somewhere in the flow.

Regarding post-layout verification, I possibly misused the term "post-layout". The topic I wanted to address is about full-chip interconnect verification. I do not mean timing closure or corner simulation, just verifying that the chip assembly has been done correctly. Assembling digital and analog parts with sometimes several hundred signals running in between means that the system designer can easily mix two of them during the assembly process. Running a simulation using the top-level (typically Verilog-) netlist seems to be a must to me. And using a wrapper around the digital parts means parsing and modifying the netlist, thus reducing the verification coverage. Mixed-signal simulation would be the fastest simulation, but in order to consider supply connections, a fast transistor-level simulation may be an option, as already mentioned. What do you think? Maybe you have a different way to perform this kind of verification?

Paul

Eugene

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2005, 9:14am

Paul,

I should explain my interest in this discussion. My background is in performance behavioral modeling, not functional behavioral modeling. However, as part of a team tasked with monitoring commercial CAE tools, I would like to learn more about functional verification. I think we both agree that functional verification is the goal and that a transistor level simulation is one approach, but that a mixed signal simulation would be faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong but your problem seems to void the promise of mixed signal simulators and languages. We agree that purely digital simulations are best in the beginning of the design. But to do full functional verification using mixed signal tools I think we must at some point translate fully digital blocks into mixed signal blocks. Does the translation take too long? Is it too prone to errors? Is it too disconnected from what will be built? Do place and route tools not work with mixed signal languages? CAE tool vendors advertise a smooth design flow through mixed signal tools. I'd like to know exactly where that flow is broken.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2005, 1:18am

Eugene,

Maybe some people with more knowledge on the latest developments in the tools will join this discussion to share their opinion. I heard about the improvements of the latest Cadence tools using OpenAccess Database, but I am not sure that the present problem has a solution using these tools. I am not saying that mixed-signal (MS) simulation is not helpful in system-level functional verification, but I think some parts are still missing in the flow to achieve this. Notice that even for purely digital chips, some people use fast transistor-level (table-based) simulators to perform functional verification and power estimation. Maybe this will be the way to go, these simulators are indeed quite fast, but I had some trouble running switched-cap parts in the system (maybe that's solved now, I did not try with the latest tools).

I will try to go through the flow to explain why I consider MS simulations as not ready for post-assembly full-chip verification.
Digital blocks:
- simulation in Verilog/VHDL (no supplies considered)
- synthesis (no supplies considered)
- P&R (supplies defined in separate file)
Analog blocks:
- transistor-level simulation
- custom layout
Assembly (that's where the problems appear) can either be done with a digital tool" (e.g. Cadence SE) or a "MS tool" (e.g. Cadence ICC). Both use abstracts for the blocks. The first has a definition of supplies in a separate file and gets routing info in a Verilog file (without supplies). In this "Verilog-on-top" simulation, it is definitely is hard to include supplies. The second gets a schematic (or equivalent netlist), resulting in a "spice-on-top" type simulation, which of course contains supplies. The problem is that these supplies will be used in the analog blocks, but the digital part will not consider them. As already mentioned in an earlier post, I see two options: using wrappers to make the interface of the digital blocks supply sensitive, or use a supply sensitive cell library, which then still needs a netlist with supplies of the digital part. Both options require modifications of the netlist, and these must be done in a well-controlled manner not to reduce verification coverage.

To your questions:
1) In my opinion, an automated solution to this would be the least error prone.
2) The "translation" should not be too long, but if you need to simulate a big digital block in V*-AMS, it becomes a really long simulation.
3) AFAIK, the current chip assembly tools do not operate with MS languages, and BTW, this is not the real problem. The translation of the digital part to an MS language is the problem, and I am sure the digital flow (synthesis, P&R) do not operate with MS languages.

It seems to me there is no off-the-shelf solution to this, but don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong.

Paul

Eugene

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2005, 10:09am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the informative reply. I suspected that the tranlation from a pure digital language to a mixed signal language was the problem but wanted to hear it from someone "in the trenches".  I think the vendors claim pure languages are subsets of mixed signal languages and so there should be little or nothing to translate. I would have to see it to believe it. My experience and lingering suspicion is that those "little" translation issues, though perhaps only a line or two in length, can take weeks to identify without some sort of automatic translator. I also have not heard of any automatic translation tools.

Thanks again for the great discussion.

-Eugene

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:54am by Eugene »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.