The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 7:49am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verilog AMS netlisting and three terminal devices (Read 3804 times)
aznaragorn

Verilog AMS netlisting and three terminal devices
Jul 07th, 2004, 1:43pm

I want to extract Verilog AMS netlists of past schematics to simulate in the AMS environment. However, I am hitting a roadblock because of three terminal devices I have used in my schematic.  I want the object propery "bn" (bulk node connection) in my schematics to specify the fourth connections for these 3 terminal devices. For spectre and hspice netlists, the CDF used progn(bn) to program the 4th terminal to a parameter. However, the AMS netlister in cadence doesn't allow progn and suggests using inherited connections. I don't want to go through hundreds of schematics and use netSet to set the connection for the 4th connection. Is there any way to map this fourth (invisible) terminal to the property bn?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Verilog AMS netlisting and three terminal devi
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2004, 9:37pm

This isn't supported with the "spectre" netlister either - you must be using the obsolete "spectreS" interface?

In theory you could add bn support with a custom AMS  netlist procedure (I've done the same for transition of existing spectreS based designs to spectre, with the view that any new schematics should use the inherited connection approach). I've not tried this with AMS though, but it ought to be possible.

However,  remember that netSets do not have to be on every instance - if all instances in a block have their bn set to (say) vss!, you can put the netSet on an instance of the block (or even further up the hierarchy) and all child instances will inherit the netSet. In essence a netExpression can be resolved by the first netSet found looking upwards in the hierarchy. Put another way, if every single 3 terminal device is connected to the same net, you could put a single netSet on an instance of the top level block, and that would work.

Of course, if you have individual overrides, you'll need to handle that, but for most cases people use 3 terminal devices where the bulk is connected to a supply or explicit bulk connection into a block; if they want to wire it to a local net, they'd use a 4 terminal device to make it clearer in the schematic (at least, this is good practice - there will always be cases where it doesn't get done like this).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aznaragorn

Re: Verilog AMS netlisting and three terminal devi
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2004, 8:09am

Unfortunately with the schematics I am working with, the bulk is never really attached to the same thing; our design engineers prefer three terminal devices to save clutter.

However, by changing the parameter bn to type nodeset and editing the spectre stopping view with a netexpression refering to bn, I have got 3 terminal devices to work as they did previously.

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:37am by aznaragorn »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.