The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 3:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Delta sigma modulator (Read 2442 times)
vivekrc

Delta sigma modulator
Aug 22nd, 2004, 7:40pm

I  would like to design an 125MHz delta sigma modulator  with sampling frequency 2.5GHz using switched capacitor adder, integrator, multiplexer, one bit quantizer in the feedforward loop and one bit Digital to analog converter in the feedback loop. The multiplexer will choose input plus the reference voltage or the input minus the reference voltage depending on the output from the one bit DAC.
I  would like to know whether this design will work for IBM 0.13 micron technology.
Actually, i dont know how to design a switched capacitor adder, can anyone suggest me the design.
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Vivek

Re: Delta sigma modulator
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2004, 1:07am

Hi,

I doubt if you can actually design a modulator with the kind of clock frequency you mention. In any case, it would be quite a job to make the simplest of circuits work at 2.5 GHz. On top of that, you wish to make a SC circuit which would require opamps with UGBW atleast 7 times the clock rate. I quote this number because you are talking of a SC delta-sigma modulator without giving any more info such as the desired resolution and whether or not your modulator has to be a baseband delta-sigma or a bandpass delta-sigma. I think narrowband designs might be possible but you will not use SC integrators but resonators there.

Please check to see your design specs. If someone wants you to design a baseband delta-sigma with such specs, then it might be a joke of some sort.

You can find a good deal of information about designing delta-sigma ADCs (including bandpass delta-sigma ADCs) along with switched-capacitor circuits in the following references (also on many other sources on the net and in print):

(1) "Delta-Sigma Data Converters: Theory, Design & Simulation" by Norsworthy, Schreier and Temes, IEEE Press.
(2) "Analog MOS Integrated Circuits for Signal Processing" by Gregorian and Temes, John Wiley & Sons.
(3) "Analog Integrated Circuit Design" by Johns and Martin, John Wiley & Sons.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.