The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:02pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
too low thermal noise in 5.1.41 version (Read 700 times)
imagelimit

too low thermal noise in 5.1.41 version
Aug 25th, 2004, 9:33am

Somehow MOS in triode mode gives me 3 times less thermal noise than an equivalent resistor. This was not a case in older versions of spectre.
Anybody can reproduce this problem?

imagelimit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: too low thermal noise in 5.1.41 version
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2004, 12:55am

Which MOS model are you using? Can you post the model card here (I understand it might be proprietary, so don't break any rules)?

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Vivek

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2004, 12:27am

I have a similar problem trying to simulate the effect of opamp noise while using an ideal OTA. I get exactly the amount of noise I expect when I use a CT circuit and the OTA, but when I try to use the OTA in a switched-cap circuit, I dont see any noise at all (almost none). I was just trying to check if the simulator would be able to help me compute the overall thermal noise in my SC circuit, accounting for effects that I might have overlooked. However, I am unable to make it behave and so have resigned myself to using my hand-calculations, which are not bad thankfully.

I even tried using hundreds of sidebands and simulating far beyond my clock frequency range to allow for enough noise aliasing.

You should try to do handcalculations as well. I think pac might work well in terms of predicting the NTF from any node to the output but for some curious reason, pnoise is not behaving well for OTA noise even though it works well for kT/C noise.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would be glad to know. There are some bigger circuits that are harder to analyze at times.

Sorry, I cant post the modelcard for proprietary reasons, but I doubt if that has anything to do with this problem, especially since I see the exact amount of noise while using a CT circuit.

Vivek

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2004, 2:33am

Could you show us the problem on a simple example circuit that does not use any proprietary models?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
101questions

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2004, 1:01pm

Vivek, does this happen in older versions too?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.