The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 9th, 2024, 1:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
warning message in PNOISE (Read 2797 times)
City

warning message in PNOISE
Nov 01st, 2004, 3:05am

Hi,

I believe this is a common question so sorry if this was asked before. I am simulating a low noise oscillator using spectre RF PSS/PNOISE analysis a warning message  I have is :

Warning from spectre during PNoise analysis `pnoise'.
The Floquet eigenspace computed by spectre PSS analysis appears  to be inaccurate. PNOISE computations may be inaccurate.  Consider re-running the simulation with smaller reltol and `method=gear2only'.

Can simebody explain me what it is about ?
I have tried simulating again with smaller reltol and the recommended integration method but still get a wrong
output phase noise result !

thanks for any help ?

City

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: warning message in PNOISE
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2004, 12:49am

You can find a pretty detailed explanation of the Oscillator Noise Analysis in Appendix A of the SpectreRF User Guide, see http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/icoa5033/spectreRF/appA.ht... (access to SourceLink requires registration). There you can also find details about the Floquet eigenspace that is mentioned in the warning message as well as tips for troubleshooting.

Another possible method to improve the accuracy of the PSS solution might be to increase the value of the PSS option maxacfreq beyond its default value of 40*fundamental, which will force a smaller timestep. This was suggested as a solution to a somewhat similar problem, see http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2002/Feb/11009978.html. You might want to try if it helps in your case.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
City

Re: warning message in PNOISE
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2004, 7:28am

Thank you Frank,

I'll try this out.

City

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.