The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 11:04am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
capacitive currents in MOSFET (Read 112 times)
miro masar

capacitive currents in MOSFET
Nov 18th, 2004, 6:00am

Hi,

I tried to examine (using spectre) to which freqency pinched MOSFET (BSIM3v3 model) acts as constant current soure. I gave constant dc bias on gate, dc bias on drain and superimposed ac voltage to drain and examined drain current.
I've expected capacitive current through drain to be w*Cdd*Vac, but it was 4-times bigger. Is the way I'm computing expected capacitive current wrong or why is there that difference?

thanks
miro

IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Re: capacitive currents in MOSFET
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2004, 8:37am

Isn't the current equal to 2*pi*omega*Cdd*Vac? The missing factor of 2pi would explain a factor of 6, meaning the capacitive current was actually a little less than you expected.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
gmork

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2004, 9:19am

Hi,

As far as i remember from circuit theory lessons (it's been soooo far away), the admitance of capacitor is w*C so current should be w*Cdd*Vac=2*pi*f*Cdd*Vac.
I think the problem could be that i shouldn't use Cdd but some different capacitance(but which?)

miro

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2004, 10:34am by gmork »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2004, 3:54pm

Whoops! Sorry about that. Momentary brain freeze.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2004, 4:00pm

Try looking at the posts by Andrew Beckett on MOSFET capacitances as reported by Spectre. You can find them at
http://www.designers-guide.com/Forum/?board=analog_design;action=display;num=108...

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
gmork

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2004, 5:24pm

Thanks. As I see, I wasn't only one wich was confused about it. The correct expression for current is w*(cdd+cjd)*Vac and everything is consistent with AC simulation.

miro

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.