The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 7:42am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Xoomsys opinions? (Read 3021 times)
101questions

Xoomsys opinions?
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:30am

This is not really new, but have you seen the Xoomsys idea:

http://www.eet.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=53700141

Basically, they claim they speed up any commerial spice-like simulator by a factor of 100 by splitting the job across 100 Linux-based servers over LAN.
Do you believe they can split a single run, not Monte-Carlo or corners or such?
Any comment from Xoomsys people is wellcome.
Ken, Andrew, are you aware of such a technique, believe it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Xoomsys opinions?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2005, 10:43pm

I'm a little sceptical, but mainly at the levels they're talking about, not at the principle itself. It's generally a matter of whether the gains outweigh the costs though.

Ultrasim already can do some fairly sensible partitioning, even on analog blocks which have coupling at the boundaries of the partitions (the main benefit of partitioning in that case is because of differing signal rates in each partition). However, there's still a need to effectively synchronise the boundaries. For loosely coupled partitions (i.e. where you have a signal flow between the partitions) you can treat the communication between the partitions as an event.

The point is that there is bound to be a reasonable amount of communication needed between the blocks, and so I doubt whether there would be many circuits which could benefit from the kind of parallelisation levels (100 machines) they're talking about, without IPC costs being too high.

This comment also looked a bit strange:

Quote:
The initial products will support leading Spice and fast Spice simulators, Thakar said. They will support distributed processing only, not multithreading or symmetric multiprocessing on multiple-CPU machines. That results in too much overhead, he said.

He's saying that it's better to have the interprocess communication going around a slow network, rather than being able to do it in shared memory?  That sounds a very peculiar (and opposite to usual experience) position to take.

Also, the fact that this is done simply by using existing simulators is interesting, but I'll be amazed to find out how they are truly decoupling blocks at the netlist level somehow. I'd not noticed that until I read some notes on their website more closely just now.

I'm prepared to be amazed though  ;)

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
101questions

Re: Xoomsys opinions?
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2005, 1:55am

Yeh, I understand what you are saying.
Personally, I dont believe it too.
What disturbs me though is that they got very reputable investors on board, even though Benchmark sometimes jumps into too risky investments to my taste. But they certainly passed a few circles of heavy due diligence. I'm wondering who has approved their techniques.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.