The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:57am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
On chip power bypass filter for pipeline ADC (Read 5138 times)
hspice

On chip power bypass filter for pipeline ADC
Mar 02nd, 2005, 1:54am

Hi Guys:

I'm working on a 12bit 65M pipeline now. Well, the problem is when using package model (inductor & capacitor from package and bondwires), there are some power/ground reboune happened. Since 3 sets of power supplies are used for analog and digital, how to set up bypass filter for these power supplies makes me confused. I do appreciate if someone could give me some ideas.

Best

Vincent

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: On chip power bypass filter for pipeline ADC
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:36am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kapylan_pallo

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2005, 2:51pm

Mr. Kundert has provided a great reference that gives a general understanding.  I recommend the following approaches to solve your problem:

Soln 1:  Avoid signal dependent reference modulation (i.e. use a constant switched-cap load on the reference)
Soln 2:  Use a very low impedance on-chip reference buffer (i.e. burn much more power than you thought when you started the design!)
Soln 3:  Use massive amounts of on-chip decoupling and try to dampen the bond-wire inductance with series resistance to the top plate of the capacitor.

For 12b performance you should have capacitor mismatch issues as well.  In testing the reference modulation can look like mismatch errors and vice versa.  Try to test at multiple clock rates to separate the two effects as mismatch is mostly a static error and reference modulation has a strong clock rate dependence.

KP

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:59am

Hi, Kapylan,

I think the reference modulation looks like mismatch errors and vice versa, too.
Quote:
In testing the reference modulation can look like mismatch errors and vice versa.  Try to test at multiple clock rates to separate the two effects as mismatch is mostly a static error and reference modulation has a strong clock rate dependence.

But the amplifier settling error also looks like mismatch. So how to seperate the settling error and the reference modulation as both effects has a strong clock rate dependence?

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
kapylan_pallo

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:59pm

When looking for sensitivity it is sometimes just as informative to make something worse as to make it better.  By that I mean, adding a bias control knob to an amplifier and reducing its settling accuracy can highlight whether settling accuracy is currently the limiting issue.  If you can reduce the settling performance and see negligible SNDR impact then its not the amps.

Microprobing the references is another way to gather information.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.