The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 5:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS on VCO and divider (Read 4577 times)
bison

PSS on VCO and divider
Apr 06th, 2005, 1:44pm

I'm doing a PSS+PNoise simulation on a VCO and divide-by-4. The VCO is at 4GHz, and I'm expecting 1GHz at the output of the divider. But PSS gives me a frequency of about 500MHz, which leads to a failure in converge. even tstab is set long enough.  If I run the simulation individually for the two blocks, there's no problem. The error message is like:

Error found by spectre at time = 50.943 ns during periodic steady state analysis 'pss'.
After the dynamic adjustment of pstab, PSS still failed.

During all simulation, I set:
   Number of harmonics = 10
   method = gear2only
   steadyratio = 1

Thank you very much for help!

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: PSS on VCO and divider
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2005, 1:03pm

What version are you using? There have been a few fixes recently to improve the convergence and handling of autonomous PSS. So if you're using IC5033 or IC5141, and are not using a recent ISR, then I'd recommend that.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bison

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2005, 7:39am

I'm using 5033... ???

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2005, 11:07pm

Is a recent subversion though? Help->About in the CIW should tell you the subversion and build date (I think), or you can do "icms -W" and "icms -V" from the UNIX prompt to tell you.

I assume you've ticked the oscillator option on the PSS form, and have set the nodes for the oscillator mode to be the output of the divider?

Have you tried setting liberal, moderate, or conservative
errpreset, and leaving everything else at default (hit the defaults button on the PSS options and the Simulator->Options->Analog form).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.