The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
capacitance calculation in spectre (Read 2526 times)
jfyan

capacitance calculation in spectre
May 01st, 2005, 7:24am

hi all:

in spectre, if i run a .tran  analysis, i can get node capacitances,but there are 3 types(such as node,nodetonode,nodetoground) and fixed value and varying value. so if i want to know the capacitance of a oscillating node during the simulating a ring oscillator, what can i do ?

thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: capacitance calculation in spectre
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2005, 9:01am

If the node is oscillating, the capacitance is also oscillating.  You can probably get the capacitance at a collection of timepoints using the reported node capacitance, or figure out the appropriate device capacitances from the connected devices and add them up.

I'm not sure how accurate the reported capacitances are, though: if you have a small resistance between the node of interest and a huge capacitance, does that capacitance show up?  You may want a driving point impedance, computed by capturing the transient operating point and using that as the op pt (skipdc?) and then injecting a current into the node and measuring the imaginary voltage.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.