The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise simulation with two oscillators (Read 624 times)
geekyfrenchy

austin
Phase noise simulation with two oscillators
May 01st, 2005, 8:57pm

Hello,
I am trying to simulate two distinct oscillators running at two different frequencies (Say 3500M and 3600M). I want to see the impact on the Phase Noise (at 100M offset) as a result of having the VCOs share some common element. So in the case of the 3500M VCO, I want to check PN at 3600M to see how much this PN is degraded by having the 3600M VCO running simultaneously. At this moment I can perform a transient simulation and can see both VCOs at their respective frequencies.
Has anyone used SpectreRF to complete this?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Helene

View Profile   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Re: Phase noise simulation with two oscillators
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2005, 8:23am

SpectreRF is not capable of running on a circuit that contains two free-running oscillators. It will never converge.

A circuit with two free-running oscillators has two fundamental frequencies, so it needs QPSS, but QPSS does not work on autonomous circuits.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
geekyfrenchy

austin
Re: Phase noise simulation with two oscillators
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2005, 8:35am

Hello August,
SpectreRF PSS for autonomous ckts was recently enhanced to take in consideration frequency division occuring for VCOs containing frequency dividers. As a result, the final PSS fund would be reevaluated to take in account this frequency division. In the event you have multiple frequency divisions occurring in your design, your PSS fundamental will be set as the largest common integer of all frequency sources. So based on this, I may be able to trick SpectreRF to get convergence. What I suspect is that the resulting phase noise may not be accurate since both VCOs induce perturbations to each other. I was wondering if other users have been through the same exercise.
Thanks for your email,
Geekyfrenchy

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.