The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 12:08am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PM noise and Noise (Read 4290 times)
Juan F.
Ex Member

PM noise and Noise
May 24th, 2005, 9:15am

Hello,
I am performing pnoise simulations over a differential LC oscillator and I have obtain some result I  don't   fell confident with. I am triyng to use the PM noise capability of Spectre RF to find the phase noise at the VCO output, when I compare this noise with the total noise over the carry  (that the software confusedly call phase noise) I obtain a Phase noise that is larger in magnitude that the total noise for some range of frequency. It seems to be a bug, is it ?, or is there something that I have forgotten?.  
Thanks for your help
Juan F. Osorio

(I have checked the procedure  with a ring oscillator and in this case the total noise and the phase noise are equal as expected).

IP Logged
Nick

Re: PM noise and Noise
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 7:38am

I seem to have the same problem...Haven't yet figured out why. To my knowledge, phase noise, no matter if it is defined as total noise over carrier power, or just phase noise over carrier power, it should never go above 0 dBc/Hz. I am getting crazy results when it comes to small frequency offsets???Any ideas???

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Juan F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:39am

I think that my problem is not the same, my problem is that when I plot the phase noise using the PM modulation capability of Spectre RF  it  is larger than the “phase noise” founded without use this capability that correspond to the total noise over the carrier.
I am not sure of understand your problem but it seems that it is related with the fact that at less  theoretically the phase noise increase without bound  as 1/f ^ m. that means that a frequencies arbitrary near to the carrier frequency it is extremely large, actually infinite.

IP Logged
Nick

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2005, 4:31am

ok, now I see your problem. I did too the PM noise analysis on my LC oscillator and noticed the same thing as you did. PM is a lot worse than the one calculated in Phase Noise.

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2005, 8:04am by Nick »  

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Nick

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2005, 1:35am

Juan F.,

you might want to check this link, right at the bottom of the page.

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/?board=jitter;action=display;num=1102124964...

Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.