The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gate-induced noise of a MOSFET for LNA design (Read 4754 times)
hossein_ml

gate-induced noise of a MOSFET for LNA design
May 25th, 2005, 9:44am

I am trying to find approximate value of gate-induced noise of a single NMOS in standard 0.18um CMOS process to use in UWB LNA design. All gate-induced noise models available in the literature use gd0 term that they call drain-source conductance at zero VDS. What is this term exactly? Any one has an idea how to find it? I am looking for some kind of formula that can be easily related to model parameters in BSIM3 MOS model and I can use it in Spectre simulation. I am also looking for delta parameter in gate-induced noise for 0.18um process. I know that it is 2-3 times higher than 4/3 which is used for long channel devices, however, I thought that someone her may have actually had expericen with 0.18um process and can give me more accurate number.

Thanks,
Hossein

View Profile   IP Logged
Juan F.
Ex Member

Re: gate-induced noise of a MOSFET for LNA design
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2005, 12:25pm

Hello,
Have you seen the paper by  A. J. Scholten in IEEE transaction on Electron Devices, Vol. 50, No. 3 and call "Noise Modeling for RF CMOS circuit Simulation" this paper is a referent in the topic of noise modeling  in RF CMOS transistor the experimental result are precisely done in a 0.18um technology.
Bye

IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2005, 12:32pm

Hossein,

if you have access to IEEE papers, here's another potentially interesting paper:
Compact Modeling of Thermal Noise in the MOS Transistor
Roy, A.S.; Enz, C.C.;
Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on
Volume 52,  Issue 4,  April 2005 Page(s):611 - 614

As this is an advanced and not so common topic, I guess many people in this forum would be interested to learn about your progress on the subject.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:59am

[quote author=hossein_ml  link=1117039467/0#0 date=1117039467]I am also looking for delta parameter in gate-induced noise for 0.18um process. I know that it is 2-3 times higher than 4/3 which is used for long channel devices, however, I thought that someone her may have actually had expericen with 0.18um process and can give me more accurate number. [/quote]

Juan has a good suggestion to read up on Scholten's papers; there are several more you can find on the IEEE web site.

As for "delta" -- I've seen "gamma" which is a factor that adjusts the channel noise in BSIM3.  spectre -help bsim3v3 in the latest version says gamma=2/3 by default.  (2/3 * 4kT gd0 = 8/3 kT gd0)  Some of the papers cited by Scholten talk about increasing gamma for short-channel devices; Scholten tends to think they are wrong.

As for induced gate noise, you'd probably need a different MOS model, like Philips' MOS11 (possibly BSIM4, I'm not sure about the accuracy of their formulation).  Remember, even if you calculated the value of the noise, you'd then have to figure out the transfer function from the gate of your device to the output.

The folks at Philips also mention that the best way to get induced gate noise is with a segmented channel approach: split the channel along the length, and the oxide capacitance of one segment is in series with the channel resistance (with noise) of another segment, and you get noise coupled to the gate.  But you probably have to extract new mos models (eg, short-channel effects shouldn't come into play for a segment of a long-channel device).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.