The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 11:52pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS Convergence (Read 4192 times)
uncle_ezra
Community Member

PSS Convergence
Jul 04th, 2005, 1:28am

Dear all,

I am running a LNA+Mixer simulation with LO signal @ 2.44GHz and trying to compute the NF by running PSS+Pnoise. The convergence is achieved only if I set the tstab long enough. For Cadence gurus', is there any rule of thumb as to how long you should set the tstab?

Also for some reason when I use ideal balun or transformer, convergence is not achieved even for DC! The problem was only solved if I used VCVS to emulate.  Any ideas why?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Re: PSS Convergence
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2005, 3:47am

One more thing, I just tried to simulate IP3 using QPSS and QPAC.  The RF input is @ 2.45G, LO @ 2.44G and QPAC is set for single point @ 2.451G. For tstab I set 100ns. This setup was used for PSS+Pnoise+PAC and convergence was achieved, however for IP3 it was not.  Any suggestions? Should I increase tstab even more?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: PSS Convergence
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2005, 2:31pm

You should set tstab to get you past between 1-5 time constants of the initial transient. 1-2 are usually enough, but more may be needed when convergence is tough. Tightening toleraces too tight can cause convergence problems. Start with default tolerances and only tighten them if you feel you need to. Keep an eye on the convergence norm. It is expected to start at some large number and drop to 1, which represents convergence. If there is no period of monotonic decrease, then you probably need to increase tstab. If it does go through a period of monotonic decrease and then seems to get stuck and never reach 1, then probably your tolerances are too tight.

If the balun is preventing you from getting convergence in DC, then you probably have not provided a DC current path for both the differential and common mode currents. Do not leave the C input open, tie it to ground either directly or through a resistor.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.