The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 2:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BSIM3 noise model flag, noimod, and PNOISE (Read 5048 times)
ethan
Community Member

BSIM3 noise model flag, noimod, and PNOISE
Jul 04th, 2005, 12:42pm

Hi there

Do you know where I can find noise model flag, noimod, in my technology mode file (*.scs) for spectre ?

Since I would like to whether noimod=1 or others in order to check my PNOISE simulation results for flicker noise. Right now, I couldn't see flicker noise in my PNOISE simluation.

I have checked my TSMC 0.35um mm0355v.scs (TSMC SPICE MODEL for 0.35 MIXED MODE PLOYCIDE ) and didn't find it. Is it in spectre simultor iteself or somewhere else?

Thank you for your time.

ethan

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: BSIM3 noise model flag, noimod, and PNOISE
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2005, 1:28pm

Ethan,

the noise parameters are usually included in the transistor model file, surprised to hear they are missing in TSMC 0.35. Are you sure about this, this is a stable mixed-signal technology, so I would certainly expect noimod to be set. Have a look at the following link for a conventional model:
http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~johns/nobots/courses/ece1392/typ_035.mdl

Be aware AF and KF must be set to get flicker noise in the noise simulations.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ethan
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2005, 9:21pm

Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

I even doubt the transistor model file we got. My supervisor said he got whole designkit from MOSIS. But I couldn't find:
noimod
noia
noib
af
kf

Maybe I will try to add them inside with certain calculated value.

My question here is that I use TSMC 0.35 technology with 5v supply. So the general parameters from the link you post can not be directly applied, right?

ethan

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2005, 7:29am

One need not find AF or NOIMOD in the model file, since one can get noise from their default values (1.0 and 1, respectively).  However, using the default NOIMOD=1, one must specify a value for KF to get flicker noise.

NOIMOD=2 or 3 uses the NOIA, NOIB, NOIC parameters, which have default values that generate flicker noise; however, they are probably not correct for your particular process (nor would the parameters from that link necessarily be correct, though the file name does seem to indicate that it's at least the right technology (0.35u)).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2005, 1:32pm

I did not intend to pretend these parameters could correspond to the TSMC process. The idea was to show the usage of the AF and KF parameters and luckily Google gave a link to a 0.35u process  ;)

I am not affiliated with the group hosting this link and I have no idea what foundry process these parameters correspond to. To see if it corresponds to your process, you can nonetheless compare some device parameters like VTH0 and UA-UC.

Ethan, maybe you find some additional information in the DK documentation, the models do not always contain flicker noise information by default.

Good luck

Paul

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.